Trane Gas furnace will not turn on

Old 10-05-08, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane Gas furnace will not turn on

HELP!!

We bought a new house a few weeks ago. It has a TRANE XL 90 Model TUX 100 gas furnace - runs on Propane, it's about 15 years old. It was working when we did the inspection, and the old owner had it serviced just before we moved in, and it was working then. The AC, working off the same thermostat, was also working just before we moved in.

It will not work at all now. The thermostat clicks when we raise the set temperature, nothing happens at the furnace and there is no voltage at the wire connections inside the thermostat. We tried changing the thermostat batteries, but we believe that the thermostat is not the problem. There is power to the furnace (at the main wire where it enters), but no power at the low voltage manifold inside where the thermostat wires connect. The little light that is supposed to give an error code is not on at all (no power there). We are unsure where else to check for power inside.

We talked to someone at the service company, who tried to give some troubleshooting tips, we could not find the fuse, though. Finally he said if it's an electrical problem, call an electrician.

It has got to be inside the furnace because we have confirmed power going in. We suspect something, either the transformer, or the fuse, or maybe the circuit board. Any tips of how we can narrow down the problem? Should the furnace company be able to help us with an electrical problem inside the furnace, or is it really up to an electrician?

We have other sources of heat for much of the house, so we let this go too long, but it's starting to get cold. If we need to take time off for a service visit, we also do not want to waste anyone's time.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-08, 09:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If power to the furnace, you'd need furnace man, not an electrician.

Do you show any blinking lights on a control module inside the furnace? Usually there is a legend that explains these blinks as to where the problem may lie.

Also turn off power to furnace for maybe 15 seconds or so, to see if you turn it back on if you reset anything.

You can jumper R terminal to W terminal on the low volt block down inside and see what happens, for starters, to rule out thermostat. This jumper test bypasses the thermostat and sends low volt power down the line, directly. Turn furnace off first.

Old 10-05-08, 09:41 AM
The diagnostic light on the control module is not on at all, so no information from that. We've already tried the breaker thing. Will try jumping the wires.

Old 10-05-08, 09:46 AM
If you have a volt-ohm meter you can set it to a/c volts and see if you have 24 volts across the 2 outgoing transformer wires.

Old 10-08-08, 02:45 PM
Smile Update

I just wanted to give an update. I spoke with a service guy, and he said that if we didn't have any voltage at the transformer, that we should probably go ahead and replace the transformer before we spent the money on a control module. Something just didn't seem right, though, because there was also no power at the control board, no flashing light at all, no power seemingly anywhere.

Soooo, I did a little more reading on the board, and I kept seeing a reference to a cut-off switch on the blower door that had to be activated for the furnace to run at all. There was no switch on the access panel we had taken off, but could it possibly be out of place on the lower panel?

Sure enough, I came home tonight and removed the bottom panel of the furnace and saw the switch. Pushed it in, and the furnace started right up!!! Problem solved, we are warm again (thank goodness this didn't happen in January, it might have cost a lot of money for nothing).

Old 10-08-08, 04:05 PM
Phhhhhh. Welllll -

I never thought of that - perhaps from the fact when you said you had power going into the furnace, I guess that side tracked me.

Yes, one should always check that interlock switch, along with fuses and switch, if no power at the furance. Easy to forget about sometimes.

For times like this, I often think it be a good idea to make a list of all that can go wrong with a furnace, rather than simply hashing things over in your head from memory. I've thought about how doctors even might get more diagnosises right, and/or quicker if THEY did that as well (by consulting web listings of symptoms that correspond to diseases).

And just think: You literally found this problem on your own. You can proudly rub your chest.