gas furnace does not ignite

Old 10-11-08, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas furnace does not ignite

I have an Heil ultimate II fan assisted combustion gas furnace that does not ignite. There are sparks and thats it. But as soon as I removed the metal shield (picture below) which exposes the ignition device , the flames come and everything is working. Granted, theres been no airduct cleaning and furnace maintainence in the last 3 yrs other than changing the air filters (the last one was misplaced with the arrow pointing to wrong side , dont know if this has anything to do with existing problem)

inadequate airflow?

thank you
rtyce

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-08, 09:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd say so. I guess you have closed combustion with both intake and exhaust pvc lines? You will need to see if fresh air is coming in and if exhaust is going out.

Disconnect the intake pipe at furnace and then try the furnace and see if that cures it. If it does, then you know the intake pipe has an obstruction. Does that pipe have a hardware cloth screen on the end of it outside? It be nice if both these pvc lines go out through the side of you house instead of up through the roof so you can check them out easier and more safely.

If no results here, then you will have to do the same with the exhaust pipe. But be warned that spent gas/CO will come out so you can only do this for very short test only!!!