Help Me Choose York or Amana Condensing Gas Furnace

Old 10-15-08, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Me Choose York or Amana Condensing Gas Furnace

Help and opinions desperately needed, I need to choose one of two estimates that were the best of bunch. I need a new gas furnace. My house is 1166 sq ft. I am leaning toward the York, even though the Amana, to me, sounds like a better product. Here are the pros/cons in my uneducated view.

Both estimates come from excellent-rated installers in my area of Milwaukee, WI.

Amana AMV9: Estimate $625 more than York, ouch, lean to York. It is 70,000btus, seems too large for my house. Other pros: the Million-Air heat exchanger all stainless steel, sounds excellent. Also the igniter is silicon nitride, I understand they last longer? Con: a two stage variable speed furnace.

York Affinity Pc9: Better price, and a modulating variable speed furnace, sounds better than a two stage? Cons: Heat exchanger only primary heat exchanger made of stainless steel, the other half is aluminized steel. It is a 60,000btu furnace, more appropriate for my house? Lastly, a con of a silicon carbide hot surface heat exchanger.

These are the issues I'm juggling. Please offer your opinions!
Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-08, 11:08 AM
Me again. Sorry for the sloppy pro/con order. I also meant, "a con of a silicon carbide hot surface ignitor.

Old 10-15-08, 11:42 AM
The York is 95% AFUE and cheaper compared to the Amana which is only 90% AFUE, I think.

I personally have Amana and love it. I don't think you could go wrong with either, but since you get more savings for less up front cost, I'd personally look at the York first.

Old 10-16-08, 08:15 PM
The Amana AMV is 96.6% efficient. I would call back and ask for a price on an Amana AMH. The difference is multispeed blower instead of variable speed. Efficiency drops to 95%. Depends on what your looking for. The AMV is the only choice if you are looking for total comfort. Its variable speed blower cannot be matched if set up correctly. The AMH is comparable to the York you were quoted and will give you in my opinion less long term problems. Check the warranties. You will find that the Amana is superior. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. In this case you are not. The Amana is a better value.

Old 10-17-08, 06:41 PM
Hands down on the York Modulating furnace, you will get the best comfort with this furnace than you would with a two stage Amana.

The York will be a better match with your home to give you the best comfort.

Old 10-17-08, 07:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
Hands down on the York Modulating furnace, you will get the best comfort with this furnace than you would with a two stage Amana.

The York will be a better match with your home to give you the best comfort.
Naturally, since I am the curious type: Why? Is the York more pricey, also? What can it do the Amana can't. Are Amana engineers not as good?, or is this a simple matter of comparing a Lexus with a cheap subcompact?

Old 10-17-08, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Why? Is the York more pricey,
On the bid this poster got, they said "Amana estimate $625 more than York" I would take this and go with the York if it cheaper than Amana.

also? What can it do the Amana can't.
The Amana is only two stage, the York Modulating has 40 stages, and does it in 1% increments, giving a far more comfort of the home by matching the heat load much better as the temps changes.

Are Amana engineers not as good?, or is this a simple matter of comparing a Lexus with a cheap subcompact?
There's nothing wrong with Amana, I do give them (or Goodman?) credit of making the product better now. The only thing I don't like is their 90% burner set up, it's not sealed in a box like most other guys are.

But if she can get this for $600 cheaper than the Amana, I would get for a Lexus that is going to be cheaper than the sub-compact car.

Old 10-18-08, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the reply.

40 stages? 40? Is this actually stages, in the sense of the word, or something different?

Old 10-18-08, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
40 stages? 40? Is this actually stages,
Yep, 40%-------on up to 100% as needed.. Nice thing about this furnace, a simple single stage stat is used, and the furnace board itself takes care of it from there.

Old 10-20-08, 05:31 AM
Originally Posted by thermofridge View Post
The Amana AMV is 96.6% efficient. I would call back and ask for a price on an Amana AMH. The difference is multispeed blower instead of variable speed. Efficiency drops to 95%. Depends on what your looking for. The AMV is the only choice if you are looking for total comfort. Its variable speed blower cannot be matched if set up correctly. The AMH is comparable to the York you were quoted and will give you in my opinion less long term problems. Check the warranties. You will find that the Amana is superior. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. In this case you are not. The Amana is a better value.

What is the difference between multi-speed and variable speed? I have been dying to know this for months.

Old 10-20-08, 05:51 AM
Most furnace multispeed mortor has 4 speed that can be used. Only 2 of the 4 speed is used, and they are heat and cool speed.

so when the furnace calls for heat, the motor comes on suddenly at that speed that the motor is wired up for.

A variable speed (ECM) motor provides a variety of functions providing a wide variety of features and benefits for comfort, efficiency and performance. The ECM motors start very slowly increasing speed gradually.

At operating capacity the blower motor maintains constant air volume by monitoring and maintaining a constant energy consumption. Finally when the system powers down the blower motor will slowly reduce speed until off. The ECM variable speed motor is controlled by varying the voltage to the motor to control speed and maintain a constant load on the motor. By monitoring current consumption the ECM controller varies voltage to maintain a constant wattage or energy consumption. This is achieved by using a Direct Current or DC Motor. Inside the motor control is a rectifier circuit which converts the incoming power from AC or Alternating Current to DC or Direct Current. DC motor control is more reliable, less complex and less costly than AC motor control. The electronic control system varies the output voltage to maintain a constant load on the motor. As the constant load is maintained the speed of the motor varies as the voltage changes continuously. An ECM motor is substantially more energy efficient compared to a standard PSC Permanent Split Capacitor, Split Phase Motor or Capacitor Start Motor typically used on blower motors. An ECM motor consumes 75 watts of energy compared to 500 to 900 watts for other types of more commonly used motors.

Old 10-20-08, 07:26 AM
The ignition system on Amana Vs. York

Say, I really appreciate all the advice given to my posting so far. Well, I could not swing the extra $625, so I chose the York. Even though I made the choice, I worry only about two things, this furnace comes with a silicon carbide ignitor. I had read that a silicon nitrate surface ignitor is better quality. Is this really a big deal? I heard the silicon carbide ignitors get burnt out every 3-5 years. Is this true?

Also, any opinions on the half stainless steel half aluminized steel heat exchanger that comes with my York? (The Amana had both primary and secondary heat exchangers made out of stainless steel, which I guess would have been better quality?)

It sounds like the York will be decent, and from what little I know, it is a 60,000 BTU furnace. The Amana offered to me was a 70,000BTU furnace, which I don't think I needed for my 1166 sq foot basement and one story home.

Old 10-20-08, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by KathyMilwaukee View Post
so I chose the York.
I think you are going to be very pleased with the results of this furnace and the comfort you will get with our cold northern winters.

Even though I made the choice, I worry only about two things, this furnace comes with a silicon carbide ignitor. I had read that a silicon nitrate surface ignitor is better quality. Is this really a big deal? I heard the silicon carbide ignitors get burnt out every 3-5 years. Is this true?
I don't think it's a big deal, as long the burners are getting fresh air from the outdoors (two PVC pipe, exhaust, and intake), it should be fine.

The parts are under a 5 year warranty, but if you want a piece of mind, get the 10 years parts and labor warranty.

Also, any opinions on the half stainless steel half aluminized steel heat exchanger that comes with my York?
The furnace comes with a lifetime warranty on it, and as I mention above, if you are worried, get the 10 years parts and labor.

I have it on mine, it will be worth having if something major did go wrong down the road.

Old 10-21-08, 04:58 PM
Please do get the extended warranty. I have a York Affinity 9T that is only 4 years old and I found out today that the motor is damaged and must be replaced. The company that installed it no longer does residential work, so I'm going to have to wrangle another "authorized" dealer to come in and tell me what they're willing to do on a gas furnace that may or may not be under warranty. And York's customer service number was not a particularly helpful or knowledgeable, so make sure whoever installs for you plans to do residential work for a while.

Not that I'm bitter or anything. But seriously, extend that warranty.

Old 10-21-08, 05:17 PM
And for those with warranties that ran out, that is why we are here, to help people like yourself try to find the necessary parts and change stuff out yourself at a huge a savings. This job is DIY-able for anyone with any sort of mechanical ability.

Old 10-21-08, 06:18 PM
Kathy, rest assured your heat exchanger is warranted for the lifetime of the original purchaser. I would buy the 10 yr. parts and labor warranty on the other parts. You can have a nitride ignitor upgrade kit installed but that kinda seems redundant now and may not be advisable by York. Inspections of the heat exchanger would be advisable starting in a few yrs. concentrating on the connection of the stainless and aluminized parts. Generally, keep it clean, have it serviced regularly and it should give you years of good service assuming the installation is proper.