Replacing Furnace Vent Pipe

Old 10-15-08, 01:24 PM
Replacing Furnace Vent Pipe

Hi,

the metal (galvenized steel?) exhaust pipe from my furnace to my chimney had rust in it's joints and a few cracks so I'm replacing it. It seems that it is at least as old as the furnace (mid 80s) but may be older.

I took off the old one and used it to make a list of what to buy at Home Depot to build a new one. I should only have to cut to pieces to proper size and assemble I think... but is ther anything I need to know about doing this job? Is it as simple as cutting the two 4" diameter pipe pieces, fitting all the elbos together and installing?

It looks like I also need to bend the sheets into 4" "pipes" (they look like they click together somehow), and drill three holes around each piece for a sheet screw to hold the pieces together? I got gloves because this stuff is dangerously SHARP!

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-08, 05:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vent pipe

Sounds like you have the project well in hand. The only other suggestion I might have is to seal the joints in the pipe with high temp silicone.

Old 10-17-08, 02:04 PM
Thanks, so it sounds like you are saying that there really isn't much to this job and how I propose to go about this is correct. Any tips on putting togehter those 4" pipes that come in sheets? Any tips on cutting them to the right size (I bought metal clippers)?

Also, the old vent assembly was all held together by three sheet metal screws at each joint. Sound right? How do I go about that... dril a starter hole with the pieces together and add screws?

Thanks!!

Old 10-17-08, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vent Pipe

Make any cuts before you roll the sheet into a pipe. Cutting round pipe is difficult, 4" nearly impossible. You can get very sharp hex head sheet metal screws which don't require any pre-drilling but lacking those, you will have to pre-drill.

Old 10-18-08, 07:46 PM
OK, I'm going in... wish me luck!

Thanks again!
Derrick

Old 10-29-08, 08:47 PM
I would use an aluminum duct tape over the silicone to seal the joints personally. Always just seems a lot easier to use and doesn't make a mess!