Honeywell RTH7000

Old 10-18-08, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell RTH7000

I recently installed a Honeywell RTH7000 programmable thermostat. I had an older Honeywell thermostat with just a plastic sliding piece to adjust the temperature. When I pulled out the wires I had a yellow, green, white, and red.(Y,G,W,R) Then I had some other wires that were not being used. I connected everything and the heat and air are operational. However, I am not getting any airflow upstairs. I'm only getting airflow downstairs.

I noticed on the back of my older thermostat there was a jumper wire between Y and 1. However, I do not even see a 1 on my new thermostat. I'm assuming that jumper operated the airflow upstairs. I had no problem with my previous thermostat and I was getting airflow through out the house. I need some advice on how to fix it. Thanks!

Patrick

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-08, 09:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you understand your furnace system, in the sense of knowing all what you have? Like, could you have an auxilary duct booster blower fan for the upstairs? Or do you have 2 furnaces hooked in series, with one being in the attic?

Old 10-18-08, 09:49 AM
I'm a first time homeowner so I don't understand it that well. I thought it would a 30 minute project. I do know we only have one furnace. Our house it about 2,100 square feet. I've been up in the attic and I didn't really see anything. It sounds like it could be possible I have an auxiliary duct booster blower fan for the upstairs.

I did notice a light switch on the side of the furnace and the cables lead up to the attic. However, it has always been turned on since we moved in and it's still turned on.

Old 10-18-08, 10:05 AM
Here are some photos if this helps

http://picasaweb.google.com/Pat212004/Thermostat#

Old 10-18-08, 10:41 AM
You would think that if you really have some sort of inline booster blower fan, that there would be a jumper wire between both your furnace and booster hooked from your blower connection to your booster, so that your booster can only come on with the furnace fan/limit switch or fan timer switch. And that the wire that needs hooking up on your stat, that you can't figure out which, would be the wire that you would 'piggy back' with your furnace's fan "ON" wire, so that if you wanted your furnace air to just run, that so would the booster blower also run then, even without heat.

But all this is conjecture, not knowing what you have. My supposition being based on presuming you have lived in the house, with old stat, and got air to blow out upstairs then?

I'm sure today, sometime, a pro, and or moderator or two will weigh in here.

Old 10-18-08, 11:00 AM
Yes, I was getting airflow upstairs with the old thermostat. So I feel it has to be something with the wiring of the new thermostat.

Old 10-18-08, 11:45 AM
Well, then I stand by my guessing and think that if I were trying to wire up your system from scratch, that is what I'd have done (so I think), by interconnecting the furnace's blower signal, when there was a call for heat (and also for cool, if you have that), and then have a thermostat wire from the fan ON connection to the booster fan, to cover the bases of having both blowers come on in AUTO mode, with the call for heat or cold, and also for the option of fan ON only setting.

But are you sure there is NO air blowing out the registers upstairs? None? Absolutely none? You'd think there would be SOME coming out, even if there was a restrictive booster inline.

This then got me wondering if you had separate ducting to a separate air handler. But then I said to myself that that is a dumb thought, since then you would have to have not just an air handler, but a second furnace within it, in order for there to be heat up there. And you said there is none (no furnace that is).

So now I am back trying to figure out that if your downstairs furnace works, and no signal is going to some booster, that what could you have not hooked up that make the booster not work? NOW I'm wondering it they send a separate wire from the thermostat to a fan TIMER in the booster. THAT could explain a lack of a jumper wire between your furnace and the booster fan. THAT is maybe what they did!(by having 2 additional stat wires instead of a jumper between furnace and booster) So then, you would need 2 additional wires at the stat, designated to the booster. One wire would go probably from the W terminal in the stat(piggy backed with the furnace wire already hooked to the W terminal), to feed the fan timer. And the OTHER spare stat wire would need hooking up piggy back to the furnace's fan ON wire terminal in the stat. And I can't recall if that is the G terminal or Y terminal? (There are other threads on this forum that tell which wire that is, if you were to look)

But if what I am saying is true, - don't you recall 2 extra stat wires being doubled up on the old stat terminal screws?

Old 10-18-08, 02:45 PM
I may need to call someone. There is zero air upstairs.

I found online the install instructions for my old thermostat that show a jumper between y and 1. However, I'm just confused on how to apply this to my new thermostat.

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...0s/69-1598.pdf

Old 10-18-08, 03:22 PM
Ya, but what does the online know about you specail set up with the additional blower.

OR - I was thinking that there could be an electronic duct damper control in there, as some kind of zone. In case people who built the house, seldom used the upstairs for some reason? Like say the bathroom and at least one bedroom were downstairs and if there were only a couple people living in the house, the upstairs could be shut off bascially? But not a good idea if any risk to plumbing freezing up there. Nor a good idea in cold country to have rooms get much lower than 50 degrees due to contaction of wood and sheetrock joints and stuff.

It's like either you have to contact someone to ask what has been installed in that house, like previous owners, or even the HVAC coimpany that did it, or physically trace your ducting and see what maybe is inline, somewhere.

It sure be a good one if I were rattling on about all this theory and here some duct came apart on you, coincidently. THAT take the cake. That is why you just have to find out per what I suggested.

Old 10-18-08, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Pat212004 View Post
I recently installed a Honeywell RTH7000 programmable thermostat. I had an older Honeywell thermostat with just a plastic sliding piece to adjust the temperature. When I pulled out the wires I had a yellow, green, white, and red.(Y,G,W,R) Then I had some other wires that were not being used. I connected everything and the heat and air are operational. However, I am not getting any airflow upstairs. I'm only getting airflow downstairs.

I noticed on the back of my older thermostat there was a jumper wire between Y and 1. However, I do not even see a 1 on my new thermostat. I'm assuming that jumper operated the airflow upstairs. I had no problem with my previous thermostat and I was getting airflow through out the house. I need some advice on how to fix it. Thanks!

Patrick
This is your first post. Back to basics. We really need to see what happens when Y is connected to a 1, I guess. Since you never had 2 additional extra wires in use, ......back to simple.

Then after this gets figured out, after you get air upstairs again, you can then try to figure out what is getting it there. I will try to drum up the cavalry.

Old 10-18-08, 09:08 PM
Ok, I looked at your photo and I can't see why this is done this way.. What is the full model # of your old t-stat?

Y is for cooling, telling the out door unit to turn on when the t-stat calls for cool.

Is the ductwork from the baseing is going up into the attic, and the vents are in the ceiling?

Old 10-19-08, 06:51 AM
Honeywell T8034C1481. It also has a 0008 above that number, but I looked on honeywell's website and I believe it's the T8034C1481. I'll be gone most the day, but I really appreciate everyone's help.

Yes, the vents are in the ceiling upstairs as well as downstairs. The furnace is on the 2nd floor and you are correct the ductwork does up into the attic. I have some picture of that as well.

Last edited by Pat212004; 10-19-08 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Added more information
Old 10-19-08, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the model#

That wire you see is a factory install jumper. The jumper is used for cooling(Y) to tell the furnace to turn on(1) the fan in cooling mode. This wire can be moved for other type of heating system. but yours is set up right, and has nothing to do with the air flow.

So Check to be sure the air filter is clean/new, maybe there is a damper that got bumped, and closed off the air flow upstairs.

Take a photo of your whole system (furnace and ductwork)

Old 10-19-08, 07:05 AM
I uploaded a few more photos of my furnace room in case this may help.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Pat212004/Thermostat#

Old 10-19-08, 08:06 AM
Ok, I don't see anything on your furnace that would shows there is a booster fan, and I didn't see any dampers. However, looks like the air filter is due for a change out.

Turn the fan switch at the stat to "ON", and see if you got any flow at the vents upstairs.

The furnace use one speed in heating, and another in cooling/fan on.

If you got air flow then the blower in heat mode may be slow to a point that it can't push the air upstairs. In another post something was said about the attic, did you see if the duct was flex or metal?

Old 10-19-08, 10:20 AM
I sure hope we get to learn what the mystery here is about. It is like - something don't add up.

Sure is odd that right at the thermostat changeout there is no air upstairs. Different if there first was not air upstairs and THEN he decided to put in new stat for the heck of it.

Old 10-19-08, 11:04 AM
Turned just the fan on and no air flow up stairs. Turned heat on and get heat downstairs, but no heat upstairs. Turned air on and air on downstairs no air upstairs.

I'll have to get up in the attic to check the duck. I did notice a "light" switch on the side of the furnace. It goes up into the attic. I'm not sure what that is for. It's always been on. It was on before when it was working and is on now so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Old 10-19-08, 09:06 PM
That switch on the side of the furnace is the power switch.. I bet if you turn the switch off, the furnace will shut down.

Yeah, check to be sure the duct has not come undone, or anything.

Old 10-21-08, 02:26 PM
Well, I finally broke down and called someone out. $100 fee to find out the thermostat was wired correctly. I had a really dirty air filter. I knew it was dirty and have been meaning to buy one, but certainly didn't think it would stop air flow.

He climbed up in the attic. I have flex piping up there. He didn't see anything disconnected.

It still seems weird. There is now some air getting upstairs when I pulled out the dirty filter. It still seems less then with the old thermostat, but I guess we will see how it goes with the new air filter I guess I learned a lesson to keep your filter changed!

Old 10-21-08, 05:08 PM
Sheesh. That's a shame. Sorry we did not think of that for you. Got sidetracked into thinking you had good pressure downstairs. In reality, that must have been compromised also. But I can see how a person, like yourself, might miss that, if you could not remember how it should come out. Because then, yes, the upstairs is harder for the air to forcefully get to, the way it is. And with the restriction almost nothing may come out.

One consolation you have is - that if you don't mind sharing your embarrassing plight with others - you can tell people you invested in a $103 furnace filter, (or whatever the labor and filter cost combined), to get a conversation going over that.

Old 10-21-08, 06:49 PM
D'oh!

I saw the filter in your photo, and was going to mention to you about it, and I must of gotten side tracked while i was typing the reply (#15) and didn't point that out when I saw how grey it was.

Old 10-21-08, 06:50 PM
It sure was a good lesson. I know Jay even said the filter needed to be replaced. I knew it did I just never stopped by Menards to get one. That was a $100 lesson. I'm glad I wired it correctly. I think another issue was that I was unsure if I wired it correctly so I was a little nervous about the whole thing and I probably thought the air flow was worse partly because I wasn't confident in my installation.

My air flow was not reduced downstairs that's why I don't really understand it. Of course it was at that point in IN you use the air in the middle of the day and heat at night. It's my first fall in this house so I couldn't remember how much air flow there should be upstairs when the heat is on.

Old 10-21-08, 06:53 PM
You said something in post #15 that it was due for a change. I guess I just was thinking it had to be my thermostat since I just installed that and didn't think the cause could be an air filter. I sure will be checking my filter more often. I just bought a 3 pack!

Old 10-21-08, 07:30 PM
Ok, I went and looked at post #15, and did see that.. I glanced at it earlier..

When the blower runs in A/C , and Fan "ON" mode, the blower runs faster than heating.. So when you had the A/C on you may of noticed more air, then in heat, you didn't since the blower run at a lower speed.

Also, since I got ya, i would suggest the #240 set to 3.