Issues with Janitrol GMP 100-3

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-08, 07:33 AM
Issues with Janitrol GMP 100-3

Serial number: 9510828716. Furnace was installed in 1996 and since then has had new circuit board installed, new limit switch (couple of years ago) and new HSI. In short, this thing has been a money pit.

Now I've got more heating issues with it: a repairman from a company came out on 10-7-08, and informed me the limit switch was bad due to the fact that the unit was "over-sized" for the 2100 sq. ft. house I'm in! (In all the repair calls I've had on this furnace, this was a first!)

He also informed me the heat exchanger was cracked. (Yeah, I've heard that one before: it's "cracked" around the ports where the flame jets enter, and it's the surface metal). I explained to him another repairman said those cracks weren't an issue, but he insisted on writing me up for a whole new furnace! (BTW, the guy didn't use a CO meter to see if these cracks were actually leaking CO into the house, so I figured on those grounds alone he was full of s***!)

Look, all I want to do is replace the limit switch ($78 from them, $20 online) but this company is telling me they can't replace a switch with a cracked heat exchanger! They're telling me - by law - the only repair they can make is to replace the heat exchanger ($600) or install a whole new furnace ($900)!

Needless to say, I don't trust them, but the furnace is only blowing warm air intermittently, and winter is coming here in the Great White North. Any idea as to which limit switch I should get for this furnace and where?

Thanks for any help you might have!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-08, 11:41 AM
With the possibility of a cracked heat exchanger the wisest thing to do is to get a second (and maybe third and fourth) opinion.

If the furnace was oversized for the installed ductwork then a cracked heat exchanger is a distinct possibility.

Old 10-19-08, 01:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As you have probably noticed, this forum is quite active, and many of us here try to help people solve their problems.

But in cases where advice is sought, to more or less circumvent professional advice, the forum pretty much frowns on this.

You say it is no big deal, but you may not have considered everything. For example, we do not know if you have a problem and it is getting worse. And also, you have not considedred the fact that due to other ventilation that may occur in the house, or even natural outside air pressure inversions (like the outside atmosphere pressure suddenly becomes greater than that in your house), that even though one day you may not have an issue with CO, on some other day, you might.

It sounds like you are bent on making the repair. And if you do, against other advice, I surely would invest in not just one, but several good quality CO detectors, mounted in proper locations, at the very least.

Old 10-19-08, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cracked Heat Exchanger

If it is indeed cracked, it should be under warranty. You would have to pay for the labor to install.

Old 10-19-08, 08:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I just checked my paperwork and as Grady said, the heat exchanger is warranted for life to the original owner. You will need proof of purchase. You would have to pay for installation if that is truly your problem. Get more opinions before proceeding.

Old 10-19-08, 09:38 PM
Understand that if the heat exchanger IS cracked and IF the duct system was too small for the furnace, thereby causing a temperature rise in excess of the manufacturer's specification, then the warranty quite likely would be void due to improper installation.

This is another reason that a furnace needs to be properly sized to not only the building's heat loss but also to the existing ductwork. Even a no-cost furnace is a bad deal if it is oversized.

Old 10-20-08, 05:37 AM
As noted in my original post, the repairman that came out on 10/7 is the first one ever to remark about the size of the furnace. Now, assuming every other repairman that had come to the house were equally qualified to fix this furnace (as they all did) and none of them mentioned this, why should I take this guy's word for this, especially when he's trying to push me into a new furnace???

Furthermore, as noted in my original post, at least one other repairman noted the cracks, (the nature of them and their location) and said they were no big deal. Again, I'm under the impression this guy is just trying to push a new furnace on me.

So, keeping that all in mind, please: does anyone have a recommendation for a new limit switch I can install on this furnace? I've seen several online, but I am not sure which one to get.

Thanks again.

Old 10-20-08, 12:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you still have all your furnace paperwork. There should be a parts list included. My Janitrol is a slightly different model of the 100-4 series. If you want, I'll look up the part number for mine.

Old 10-20-08, 02:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Serling

None of the professionals, active or retired, on this forum are going to help you possibly kill yourself or others in your household.

Since you seem determined to "repair" this condemned furnace yourself & disregard the sound advice you've been given, I have no choice other than closure of this thread.

Closed Thread