York Furnace Won't Light

Old 10-19-08, 11:41 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
York Furnace Won't Light

Hey all-this is my first time here. I have a York Affinity 9T gas furnace (about 4 years old) that isn't coming on, although it did a couple of weeks ago. The furnace itself is giving a message of 3 flashing red lights which means the "first stage pressure switch [is] stuck open". I have a vague notion of what this means but no clue at all about how to remedy it. Does anyone know what this is and can you tell me if it's something a pro needs to do or can this be handled in-house (pun intended).

Our house is 2 stories, brick, built in the '40s......
Thanks!!!

Last edited by K9Lover72; 10-19-08 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Needed to include more info
Old 10-19-08, 11:47 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I am not familiar with your particular furnace but I do have an idea of what may be wrong. I suspect the pressure switch it is referring to is the draft proving switch connected to the induced draft blower. It will be connected by a rubber hose to a nipple on the blower housing (most likely) and you need to remove the hose and make sure both the hose and the nipple to the blower are clear. I have had the nipple fill with corrosion and stop the minute air pressure signal from reaching the switch diaphragm. You need to pass a small rod, like a drill bit, through the nipple to be sure it is clear.

Be sure to turn the power off when working inside the furnace.

Old 10-19-08, 11:51 AM
K
Wow-I was posted on This Old House and didn't get any info at all yesterday. Today someone on that board suggested I try here; obviously glad I did! I'm gonna go try this....thanks in advance!!

Old 10-19-08, 12:49 PM
K
Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work, but without a manual, I can't even be sure we were working on the right thing. But thanks for the advice; it is greatly appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: