Tempstar problem

Old 10-20-08, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tempstar problem

I have a nineteen year old Tempstar high-efficiency. It worked fine last spring and nothing has been done to it in the meantime. It comes on, heats normally, when the desired temperature is reached, the flame goes out but both fans keep running until I cut the power. After a couple of hours I can turn the power back on. If I do it too soon both fans start up again. I have run the furnace for just a few minutes and it will shut down normally. Thanks for the help from the resident braintrust!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-08, 07:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Off on Limit?

I suspect during the longer runs, you are tripping a high limit. When this happens, normally both fans will run. I've seen the same problem on an ArcoAire (same as Tempstar) in a horizontal application & the ultimate cause was a cracked heat exchanger. I suggest calling a local Tempstar dealer & getting the furnace checked over by a pro. Particularly one familiar with Tempstar.

Old 10-20-08, 08:05 PM
Thanks Grady. It doesn't sound like there's anything I can check on my own. It also sounds expensive.

Old 10-20-08, 08:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Expensive

Expensive is a relative term. Even if it means a new furnace, that's far cheaper than putting your family in danger.

There are a couple of things you can check. First is the air filter. If dirty, replace it (don't use one of those super wing ding pleated filters unless you have a 4 or 5 inch thick filter) then try the furnace again. While changing the filter, look & feel the cupped part of the fan blades. If there's any significant build up, remove & clean the fan. All this is aimed at improving air flow & maybe curing the problem.

Old 10-20-08, 08:41 PM
It had a new filter. The blades on the squirrel cage fan seemed fine. You mentioned a high limit. Is that something that can go bad and cause the fans to keep running? Notice how I'm steering away from costly fixes?

Old 10-20-08, 09:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Limit

Yes, they like any other control can fail.
Before you get carried away replacing parts, see if the furnace or ignition control board has any kind of diagnostic light. Often they will blink a code & the code should be either on the control or inside the blower door. There is usually a small round window thru which you can look to see the light. Sometimes they are hard to see & you may have to look at as many different angles as you can.