Bryant 395CAV furnace problem

Old 10-25-08, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bryant 395CAV furnace problem

Maybe someone can help. I have read many great posts, and still have not found my exact problem listed.

I have a Bryant furnace 395CAV that was installed in 1994 by the previous, previous owners (i'm the 3rd owner since install). I have done a lot of research and checking, and here is my problem.

The problem: The tstat kicks on. The inducer motor runs for about 45 seconds, then shuts off. After shutting off, there is this electrical humming/buzzing noise. Obviously seems louder when the doors are removed from the unit. Nothing continues to happen.

With the doors off, I watch the cycle run. When it gets to the point that the Hot surface ignitor is supposed to glow, nothing happens. The fan continues to run for an additional 20 seconds or so, then shuts off.

I have tested the HSI (hot surface ignitor) and have estimated that I have 65 ohms of resistance, which from research on other sites means the HSI is still in good shape. No visible white spots or other discoloration and no visible cracks. The fact resistance is still there means still intact (good thing from my understanding). The website I was on said it should have about 75 ohms, so I am not sure if 65 ohms is bad or not.

I have tested the power supply to the HSI using my volt meter. I plugged the meter into a working electrical outlet and it read between 119.5 and 120.5 for the volts. So the meter works. However, I get a 000.0 reading from the power source to the HSI all the way through the cycle until the unit shuts itself down.

Further research shows that this lack of 120 Volts means I might have a bad control board. However, I cannot seem to find a control board on the net to match my model number, the closest I get is 395A.

My question is, are there other things I can do to try to fix the problem. Or does anyone know about the control board replacement. Any help or ideas would be great to hear.

Thanks,
Robby

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-08, 06:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Control Board

You may or may not have a bad control board. Check the voltage at the HSI terminals on the board. More than once I've seen bad wires or a bad plug cause this sort of problem. I couldn't get a wiring diagram online but often there are pressure switches which must be satisfied before ignition is allowed.

Old 10-25-08, 06:23 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Does Bryant make the control board too or just the furnace? The same board maybe used in more than one model.