New Furnace with Extremly Loud Outside Noise

Old 10-25-08, 09:28 AM
New Furnace with Extremly Loud Outside Noise

I just had a furnace installed last week and there is an exhaust pipe this is coming out of the side of my house. When my furnace comes on, it creates a LOUD roaring noise, so loud that my neighbors can hear it in thier house. Is this normal? I have contacted the installer and he's telling me that this is normal, but none of my neighbors have loud furnace noises. They are coming out to look at it, but I need to know if I have a legimate complaint.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-08, 10:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Loud Exhaust

You probably have a legitimate gripe. Granted some are louder than others but none should be as loud as you say your's is. A number of years ago a group of neighbors got together & forced (via a lawsuit) another homeowner in the neighborhood to get rid of his new furnace due to the noise.

Old 10-25-08, 11:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Grady,

Obviously say if the ventor fan is out of balance, it will make noise. But say a person hears this loud whoosh or roar sound. Is it legal to say change the exhaust pipe size to a larger size?, and maybe get rid of a high velocity sound, maybe? You'd think there'd be a creative solution to this.

Or could it be that a restrictor plate behind the ventor got left out?

You'd think there has to be SOME cause for this. Can't believe factory engineers would have allowed this in their product line.

Old 10-25-08, 04:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Noise

The furnace I was talking about was an early Lennox Pulse. It didn't take too many lawsuits for Lennox to come out with a muffler.
Most noisy appliances today are traceable to failure to follow the installation instructions. Once in a great while there will be a mechanical problem but they are rare.

Old 10-25-08, 07:21 PM
What is the make and model of your furnace?

Where is this vent going out to, and what is faces? (Neighbor's house?)