Furnace Pilot light won't light, Please Help!!!

Old 10-25-08, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace Pilot light won't light, Please Help!!!

I have a lennox gas furnace M/N G2603-501-1,S/N5896842874
when I "light"(turn the knob) the pilot nothing happens, it is a honeywell MPLSMN55422 S8660K 100% shutoff IP 90 sec trail 30 sec P.P.
and the furnace constantly blows cool air from the basement. 2 years ago I had something replaced in the furance I think it was the ignitor maybe the pilot light can some one tell me what I should do, if you think it is the pilot or the ignitor, and if so or not, what it could be and if there is anything I can do. Help, Please and Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-08, 11:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Jessica,

You can turn off the furnace for about 30 seconds and try to turn it on. It will reset and take another crack at trying to light it again. It may then try 3 times. Then after that it will lockout again and just the blower may run again.

Is this the very first time this heating season that you have tried to run it? Or, has it ran, with heat, this heating season, and then quit? If the first sentence applies, then check out the next paragraph.

You need to make sure all the gas valves, including meter are turned on, in case say you were shut off once from not paying your bill. All inline gas valves have the knob point in the direction of the gas line, including the meter. There will be at least one inline gas shutoff valve (often have red color handle) on the gas line next to your furnace, and at the meter outside, if you are on natural gas. If the handle looks like it crosses the line direction, it is turned off.

But usually this means you have a problem, and it will require observation, voltmeter testing and possibly some dismantling. Are you mechanically inclined or have someone there to help you if need be? I can't advise much more without knowing this.

Old 10-25-08, 01:07 PM
My husband is out on a tow, but when he gets back he can help me. Any thing you could do would help. I greatly appreciate you taking your time to help us. I have a gas water heater and that has been working so I think that the gas should be on.

Old 10-25-08, 01:43 PM
Have you tried to reset the furnace by turning it off, at the furnace or a breaker, then back on again after 30 seconds?

If you have kids that are known to tamper with stuff, also make sure any gas valve at the furnace itself are on.

When your husband gets back, have him tell us if he knows what ignites the furnace, and if he don't know, have him look and see, or describe what he sees regarding the gas valve (how many lines from the gas valve go into the combustion chamber) and what in the way of electric wires also go into the combustion chamber.

Old 10-25-08, 01:58 PM
Yes I tried turning the furnace off but it just won't light, my husband should be home soon.

Old 10-25-08, 02:12 PM
Okay. We'll have to find out what lights this furnace off then. Unless someone looks up the numbers you posted and then we learn.

Old 10-25-08, 02:25 PM
It has been converted to a Honeywell Ignition Control with a wiring kit, there is an orange wire (spark) going from the Honeywell box to the combustion chamber my husband is now at home.

Old 10-25-08, 02:33 PM
Ah. You have the intermittent spark ignition, to a pilot? (some furnaces spark directly to the burner). If so, then people here can help. I gotta get off this computer now as I have highjacked it for hours and others want their time on it. Sorry.

Old 10-25-08, 02:48 PM
Yes, well thankyou for your help!