furnace problems will not start

Old 10-25-08, 05:15 PM
furnace problems will not start

I have a Miller CFM 80 PO
when I turn on thermostat all I get is a clicking sound like a relay. I know it has a Honeywell R8184G 4009 believe it's called primary controller ordered a new one. Not sure if that is the problem, I noticed last repair a man work on it has disconnected switch on furnace door would close, to make furnace start and wire it on I'm assuming so they wouldn't have to hold them switch on not to bright . While they were working on it. Not sure where I can get a new switch or how to rewi re it , also noticed when I tried to see if there was any voltage coming to unit I pushed in button on Honeywell fan controler
and fan , started up what I pulled it out. To put it back and auto fan would not stop just kept running and running I don't know if that's causing. The furnace problem may be need may be need to replace it also. I'm not sure. Do not know much about fan limiters

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-08, 11:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it the thermostat you hear click when you turn it up?

Or is it coming from in the furnace?

If it is from in the furnace, that door switch would not be the issue. There would be dead silence if that door was ajar or the switch on it did not work. Yes, he simply bypass jumpered that switch so he could run the furnace with the blower door open. He must have hooked it back up right.

Any malfunction with that fan switch knob that lets you choose to have blower air all the time, or not, would not be any issue regarding the furnace not firing up.

Can you tell us how the furnace ignites? What will help some is if you say how many burners you have. If you only have one, it could very well have a spark ignitor that lights it that lights it directly. If you have more than one burner, it may be sparked directly, or you may have a glow coil that lights it, or instead you may have a pilit light that comes on from sparking. If you have a pilot light, you will see not just one bigger pipe that comes out from the gas valve and goes into the combustion chamber, but you would also see this 1/4 inch size aluminum tube that bends and heads into the combustion chamber as well. Please tell what type you have.

The clicking sound MAY be a result of a sequencer energizing, and the ventor motor is stuck or no 120 current ro dead motor, and if that happens, no progression towards ignition will follow. This only applies if you had this type set up. The 80% efficient furnace you have may not. How old is this furnace?

Old 10-28-08, 04:57 PM
coming from in the furnace

Old 10-28-08, 05:06 PM
it is a mobile home furnace miller brand with becket burner forced hot air two electroid that ignite spray, no he took the wire off switch took the with him i quess still wired direct

Old 10-28-08, 05:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Never mind. So - you have an oil burner. Nothing I said applies. This is Grady's territory.

With gas furnaces, stuff is readily available in my head. With oil, I really have to think. The burner draft blower should come on and possibly purge and then the ignition and oil pump/ spray occur.

To me, the click is a possible sign that something is trying to move, but can't. Could be that one of those motors is seized up. Maybe even a coupler between pump and motor has a broken part and is locking. Or that the changeover from 24 volts to 120 volts is not occuring at some relay.

OR, come to think of it, with one oil burner I maintain, there is this loud click that occurs in this 24 volt junction block, before the other stuff starts up. And the click has nothing to do with no problem at all. It is jsut energizing. There are so many things.

You have to be able to try to check out motors to see if they can operate electrically and that bearings are not seized or a coupler bound up, and do volmeter tests. One needs to be privvy to those sorts of basic things to even get to first base in hoping you can discover the problem. That's all -I- can offer to you at this time.

Last edited by ecman51; 10-28-08 at 05:34 PM.