Furnace kick on timer too slow!

Old 10-29-08, 08:32 PM
Furnace kick on timer too slow!

Hey everyone, been lurking for a while but this is my first post. I have a Junkitrol 92 I mean Janitrol 92 and when the stat calls for heating it takes forever (~2 minutes) before it finally starts the heating cycle. I can hear the burner kick on well before this though. Is there a way timer setting or delay I can adjust to have things get going a bit sooner? When stat calls for cooling it kicks right on with blower and all.

thanks!
B

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-08, 04:08 PM
This what should be happing.

T-stat calls for heat.
Inducer fan starts up right a way.
about 30 seconds, ignitor glows/spark
about 5 secs main burner lights off.
About 1-2 minutes, main blower comes on.

Where are we lacking on your furnace?

Old 10-30-08, 07:33 PM
Jay, I guess the part that is lacking is that I'd like the main blower to kick on at 1 minute, not 2 minutes. Everything works fine once it gets going, but in my old house the heat would kick right on and start blowing, but this one takes ~2 minutes and that seems like an eternity when you come home to a cold house! Anyway to change this setting?

thanks!

Old 10-30-08, 08:10 PM
no, there is no way to have it come on sooner.. YOu want to give the heat exchanger a chance to warm up for a couple of min.

sorry can't help you out on this.

Are you changing the temp by hand or using a program t-stat?

Old 10-31-08, 03:21 PM
I use a programmable t-stat, but we usually just set the program for a reduction at night since my wife stays home. When we do leave sometimes we'll turn it down manually. I hear what you are getting at though...program it so it will be warm when I'm there!

While I'm at it...any comment on this thread?
http://forum.doityourself.com/gas-oi...ombustion.html

thanks for the help!
B

Old 11-01-08, 03:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
2 minutes sounds kind of high to me too. I turn my heat down during the day and come home, and at 55 degrees inside, it comes on sooner than that, with heat.

The key thing is to see if when the blower comes on, if the temp is real warm, from the get go. If yes, you may be able to scale it back, if you can. No sense sending heat, that could be recovered instead, up the chimney.

Does your furnace have one of those Honeywell fan-limit switches mounted on the furnace inside, just above the burners? If you do, these can be adjusted. Maybe yours got weak or out of adjustment.

Old 11-01-08, 04:22 PM
Yes, I do have that switch. There are 3 settings it looks like. Set at 90, 140, and 210. Looks like it says OFF, ON, OFF. Not sure what all that means, is that seconds to kick on and off?

Old 11-01-08, 04:36 PM
Okay, just did a search on fan control limit switch and found what I needed! Thanks so much! I changed it to 80, 100, 210. 20 degree seperation was as close as I could get them together.

thanks for all the help!

Old 11-01-08, 04:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The high limit is usually set at a determined setting that may be between 150 and 200. You may have read it wrong. Anyway -

Regarding the "off" and "on" numbers: Just so you are aware that if set TOO low, this can cause the fan to keep running, or kick on by itself, if your house temp gets too hot. And also if the "on" set temp is TOO low, even though it is above room temp, it can cause an uncomfortable wind chill effect.

But at least now you found how you are able to adjust the settings and can do as you see fit. Report back now on how soon the furnace kicks on, under similar conditions as what took it 2 minutes before, if you would.

Old 11-01-08, 04:53 PM
my basement never gets over 80 degrees, but that is a good callout, I will keep an eye on it. I'll check the new blower speed and report!