Carrier 9200 Code 31 Inducer No Start

Old 10-30-08, 05:31 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier 9200 Code 31 Inducer No Start

Problem: Inducer Motor Won't Start, Code 31
Carrier Weathermaker 9200 gas furnace that won't run.

It gives Code 31.
Turn off power, turn back on and here is what happens:
1) Normal 90second blower motor runs, normal Code 12 during this.
2) Inducer Motor sometimes rotates like 2 turns like it got a split second of power, then it doesn't come on; sometimes it doesn't rotate at ALL.
3) Code 31 flashes.

I have checked vent piping; cleaned out and flushed water condensate trap and lines.
Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't. Since it throws the 31 code even if the inducer hasn't run at ALL I know it isn't truly a blocked vent or the condensate trap...without inducer running it couldn't even test those pressures.
Sometimes, I can hear the inducer motor on, shut off a second, back on, illogical like relay or board giving stupid instructions...but randomly it works to make heat sometimes.

I suspect a bad relay and/or computer board...that simply isn't telling the inducer motor to run/at the right times.
ANY HELP!?!? It's getting COLD in Wisconsin now!!
Can I buy the computer board and install it myself? From where? I am handy with tools, soldering etc.

THANK YOU in advance!

Old 10-30-08, 07:13 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Inducer motor has to run the very first thing before anything else with the furnace can proceed.If that starts to move and quits, you need to trace wires from it back and test its source for 120 volts. If that is too hard to do, and you are handy with electric, you could snip the hot wire and neutral wire that run that inducer and test the wires leading back toward the controls for 120 volts when you run the furnace, and keep meter on it for about 90 seconds, to be sure that the relay has engaged.

And then you can also either hot wire the inducer to another 120 volt source, or ohms test the motor, if you are electrically handy. There could be a capacitor issue, possibly.

Before you attempt any of this though - THE very first thing I'd do is see if there is a way to try to spin the inducer motor shaft to see if it is bound up, when the furnace is turned off.

Old 10-30-08, 08:20 PM
X
The motor runs just fine, and spins over very easily by hand (you can see it facing you with its plastic end cap/fan with direction arrow showing rotational direction); it's not a motor problem. It simply isn't getting voltage from the computer board when it should be, it seems.

Old 10-31-08, 02:14 PM
E
What does your unit say code 31 is?

On most furnaces where there is at least power to it, and the inducer motor itself tests good, but there is no power to it, one would suspect the sequencer. That may be a separate item, or be on the contol board. If on the board, a person may have to replace the board.

Be sure to make sure that all connections leading to the control board or module, and what is on them, are all tight. You actually should slide back every connection and reinsert to create a fresh new contact. If any connector feels loose you will need to fix that by crimping connector some before reinserting. This would not be an illogical conclusion since your motor has actually tried to spin some, but just quits.

Old 12-13-09, 02:16 PM
J
Carrier 9200 Weathermaker Gas Furnance

Problem: Inducer Motor Won't Start, Code 31
Carrier Weathermaker 9200 gas furnace that won't run.

It gives Code 31.
Turn off power, turn back on and here is what happens:
1) Normal 90second blower motor runs, normal Code 12 during this.
2) Inducer Motor sometimes rotates like 2 turns like it got a split second of power, then it doesn't come on; sometimes it doesn't rotate at ALL.
3) Code 31 flashes.

I have checked vent piping; cleaned out and flushed water condensate trap and lines.
Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't. Since it throws the 31 code even if the inducer hasn't run at ALL I know it isn't truly a blocked vent or the condensate trap...without inducer running it couldn't even test those pressures.
Sometimes, I can hear the inducer motor on, shut off a second, back on, illogical like relay or board giving stupid instructions...but randomly it works to make heat sometimes.

This is what happens to my unit as well and I'm new to this site and I can not find the responses if there are any to this question. How did this work out for this guy, I need the same advice. Pls help, does ths thread end here with this question?

Old 12-13-09, 02:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
Verify 120 volts to the inducer with a heat demand.

Old 12-13-09, 03:51 PM
J
can start the inducer motor when it clicks by hitting

Originally Posted by Houston204
Verify 120 volts to the inducer with a heat demand.
When the inducer motor clicks but doesn't start I can bang on the lower panel covering the main blower with my palm once or twice or three times and get it to start and then the inducer motor will stay on and I always get heat. Then I'm stuck again when the tstat calls for more heat later. Then I have to power cycle to reset and listen for the inducer motor click and then pound it again.

What am I shaking just enough to get it to do its job?

Thank you very much in advance...

Old 12-14-09, 05:54 PM
E
There is an interlock switch (a safety switch) that either allows the furnace to work or not to work, depending if the push button behind the door has the door pressing on it correctly to activate it. Check to make sure the switch is not loose from it's mount and or that the door is on the bottom compartment that way it should be. Somethign as simple as this may be causing yor problem.

Maybe the switch is going south and has to travel inward too far now before it 'closes" (works). ou can manually push the button and look at where it starts to click and see if that seems about the right location so that the door can do the same thing.

Old 12-14-09, 09:46 PM
J
I will check this switch, thanks for the suggestion, this would be an excellent place for the "problem" to be, I can only hope it is.

Old 01-14-10, 12:38 PM
C
same issue

I have same problem. Black plastic motor wont start, board issue?

Old 01-14-10, 12:57 PM
It's a lot simpler to deal with only one problem on a thread.

I'd suggest you repost on a new thread, and provide the make and model of your furnace and what it does in detail when the thermostat calls for heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: