garage furnace help needed

Old 10-30-08, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
garage furnace help needed

Just had a interior dimension 14' x 24' attached garage built.
all insulated.
Purchased a 30,000BTU wall mount natural Gas / LP gas furnace with optional blower.
Also picked up a 100lb lp tank and had it filled.
My question is, does this need to be hard plumbed from tank to furnace with tank on exterior with regulator screwed onto outlet of tank or can I use a rubber flex hose around 5' long and set the tank inside garage area.Temps can get around 60 below zero in winter if not more with wind chill factor.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-08, 06:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Propane

If temps get to -60F, you are going to have to keep that tank warm somehow. Propane won't vaporize below -40F.

You need to check with local code officials on what is required in your area. What is perfectly OK in one area, will get you shut down in a heartbeat in another area.

Old 10-30-08, 08:10 PM
Propane doesnt feel wind chill. If its -20 with -60 wind chill, propane feels -20. Wind chill is reserved for us weak humans with fragile skin. Basically, -60 wind chill is the effect the cold (-20) plus the wind has on removing heat from our bodies. Its still only -20 but with the wind, heat is removed faster. So, if we die of hypothermia, the coldest our body can get is -20. Oh, and yes, check local codes on the 100 lb. cylinder.

Old 10-31-08, 03:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wind Chill

I know propane doesn't feel wind chill but with chill factors that low, actual temps of -20 to -40 would not be unexpected & LP's vaporization rate will be slower. One might need a larger tank simply to supply enough vapor for the heater.

Old 10-31-08, 06:46 PM
I agree totally Grady. Sorry if I sounded imposing, I was trying to add to your post and further explain, not correct.

Old 11-01-08, 06:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thumbs up No Offense Taken

No offense intended, none taken, good deal. Sometimes the typed word just doesn't come across like the spoken.

Old 12-09-08, 06:22 PM
follow up

well im back at it again,takeing a break from other projects.
can someone tell me if this set up i decided to go with is acceptable for this wall mounted 30,000btu lp heater?
I decided to put the 100lb tank outside along back side of garage wall ontop of a cement walk that is right along side of wall.(if it gets to 40 below zero I aint doin nuttin) plus seems alot safer, also thought of wrapping a chain around and anchoring to wall to keep from possible tip but dont know if that is too much.
Inside I plan on coming out of heater with a 3/8 stub to a shut off valve then into a 3 way(t) fitting that has a 3/8 3" long pipe downward with a cap off for sediment.The other side of the T fitting has a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter at which point I have a 3ft long 1/2 pipe,elbow and 3ft up with a 1/2 pipe and out through wall.At this point outside I will put another 1/2 to 3/8 reducer and attach a short section of flex rubber hose to the regulator that attaches to the lp tank.
Also I know with the ventless lp heaters I will have to keep a window open.There is one right above where I mounted the furnace.Does all this sound as a safe option even with the flex hose?
Thanks a bunch.

Old 12-10-08, 04:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
LP Tank

I like the idea of the chain but no so sure about the flex hose. Where is the regulator?

Old 12-10-08, 06:07 PM
the regulator is screwed right into top of tank, such as on a small 30lb lp grill.
The flex hose I thought about useing was mainly because getting a solid pipe connection to regulator on tank seems almost impossible once the pipe comes out the wall,what I mean is the exact measurement to tank.
The flex hose would give me some variation.I know Im wrong on this but cant imagin how to get a exact fit to regulator on tank without being able to cut and thread my own pipe and haveing to use pre measured variations of pipe from hardware store.Only option I can think of would be to build a small green treated base for tank bottom and elevate to where the pipe coming out of wall would be.

Old 12-11-08, 06:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Flex Hose

I understand the need for a flex line & presume this hose is approved for LP gas as well as outdoor use. I'm just so used to seeing either copper or corrigated stainless & considerably larger tanks, I sometimes forget about 100# tanks which have to be disconnected to be filled.

Old 12-11-08, 06:57 PM
yeh, the hose does say for outdoor use only, made for one of those portable heaters.The regulator I bought is made for up to 75,000 BTU.This heater is rated at 35,000.
I guess Im just being ovely cautious.