what size, brand furnace do I need?

Old 10-31-08, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what size, brand furnace do I need?

Well, Ilve finally given up on my old Sears Kenmore furnace. I can't afford to just pay thousands for a new one right now. I am shopping around trying to get a good deal, but am hitting a brick wall. I need a hatural gas upflow furnace (I would like to be able to add A/C later.) My current furance is 100,000 BTU, and about 20 years old. When it worked it put out plenty of heat for the two of us. We are in a small 1 story frame home, well insulated, small windows. The house is a 65' x 30' rectangle, including the heated garage, on a slab. That's a total of 1950 square feet. I am getting the runaround from HVAC guys not wanting to even give me a hint of what size I need unless they come out and show me brochures of all their new "deals", (yes, there will be a fee for the call). I don't even know which are good brands anymore, and which ones are the ones to stay away from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dusty

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-08, 11:21 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
They can't tell you what size you need over the phone. They will have to come out to the home to find out the size. They will have to do a heat load on your home. This should take around two to three hours to do. The best brand is the Brand that is installed correctly.

Old 10-31-08, 12:33 PM
Dang, airman! I'm talking ballpark here. I will probably have to buy a used unit, or a new one from an individual. I have no heat right now, and don't have a lot to spend. The HVAC guys I have spoken to all have big $$$$ in their eyes, going on about the most efficient 92-96% furnaces, top names, and prices high enough to finance a car, not to mention installation fees in excess of $1,000!

I realize that there are ideal customers, and I am sure many people can afford to just say ''go ahead, damn the cost", but I'm not one of them. Sometimes things have to be done on the cheap and at this time of my life, this is one of them.

I don't understand why the information I have to go on can't give me even a ballpark BTU requirement. My old inefficient 100,000 BTU furnace did fine while it worked, nothing about the house has changed. I don't want to go backwards and get less BTUs, but just want to know what will work. I don't want to be embarrassed over and over by having one company after another sending out salesmen licking their lips expecting a big sale, and then having to tell them I can't afford it.

Thanks for the response.

Dusty

Old 10-31-08, 01:42 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Sorry but you can't just ball park a unit! Your 100k unit could have been way over sized! Will be cheaper to get the right unit.

Old 10-31-08, 06:34 PM
This is what I tell customers in your situation. You need a new furnace. Not fancy, just one that is dependable and affordable. I can provide this service but I cant finance it. What I will do is confirm with your mortgage holder that the condition of your home will deteriorate without heat. Have them give me a call and I will be happy to provide them with the necessary information. Im sure they will finance it for you.

Old 12-08-08, 10:53 AM
dust777
go with a trane XL90 2 stage 80,000 BTU 93 % eff. $2800 installed
The parts only cost about $1600

Old 12-08-08, 11:33 AM
Having a proper heat load calc should be required and done at no cost by a quality installer. The load calc could end up saving you a ton of money because 1) you will get a properly sized furnace and not spend unnecessary money for too much furnace, and 2) a properly sized furnace will be slightly more efficient and more comfortable.

As for brand, everyone makes a quality unit. It is the quality of the installation that will determine how well the new equipment operates. Odds are you will find the cheapest new furnace from a Goodman dealer.

It is too bad you are stuck in a bad situation. Going cheap on HVAC can end up costing you thousands in the long run. Good luck and hope all is well for you.