intermittant furnace

Old 11-01-08, 06:01 AM
intermittant furnace

Hello
I have a Coleman Presidential that seems to work fine for a while and then the pilot goes out. I have replaced the Thermocouple several times and it appears to be fixed only to find that after a period of time its out again.
Any help greatly appreciated
mitch

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-08, 03:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may have issues with the flame at the thermocouple.

If the pilot goes out, can you get it relit okay?, or not? You did not say. If you CAN relight it, and it stays lit after doing so, then it is most likely not the thermocouple and is something wrong with the pilot flame - like the orifice may be getting clogged and is just to that point that it is not engulfing it very well. And then when maybe there is some increased draft in the furnace, or if the furnace burner sort of flutters when it shuts off, the pilot flame gets pulled away from the thermocouple. If this is an older down flow furnace, like in a mobile home,they can be more susceptible to draft conditions.

Old 11-02-08, 04:44 PM
thanks for getting back to me.
The pilot went out again and I lit it and turned the the thermostat up for the main burner and it came on rather lack luster and then went out again. I tried this 3 times then gave up. I guess it is in the main flame controller. At least it went out when I was watching.

Old 11-02-08, 07:49 PM
Ok, you're saying that you got it lit, when the t-stat calls for heat, the main burner did come on, but then both flame slowly went out?

Old 11-03-08, 01:18 PM
Yes that is what happened 3 times in a row. today I went back with a new gas valve and thought I would try and light it one more time. On reading the directions on the new valve I noted it said make sure the pilot flame is hitting the end of the thermocouple and so I slightly bent the flame fan for the pilot to allow better flame on the tip. I also noted that someone had replaced one of the leads on the gas valve and that it was loose. so I tightened that with my leatherman. After lighting the pilot and kicking up the thermostat it lit off and worked well. I then turned down the thermostat and the pilot stayed lit. I cycled it once more and it flew. for how long remains to be seen. I just couldn't stand the thought of spending 200.00 on that valve not knowing for sure.
mitch

Old 11-03-08, 02:25 PM
Sounds like you may got it fixed.. Report back if you have issues again.

Old 11-03-08, 06:17 PM
Seems the pilot flame is not the proper size. Maybe cleaning pilot will do it and/or the orifice is restricted.

Old 11-03-08, 07:12 PM
That may be the case. I thought the pilot rather small myself.
But not looking at a lot of them I wasn't sure. It is nice and blue. If it goes out again I will pursue the cleaning.
Thanks Mitch