York Diamond 90 blows continuously

Old 11-03-08, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Diamond 90 blows continuously

York Diamond 90 intermittently blows continuously. It started happening this summer even when the thermostat was turned down to 50 and it was not calling for heat. There is no A/C on this system. I have to power cycle the unit to get it to stop. I had to power the unit off for the summer, but now that heating season is back, it's happening again. I turned the system on for the first time last night before bed. It didn't kick on right away because the wood stove was keeping the house warm. When I awoke during the night I could hear the furnace blowing, but when I checked it was cold air. I power cycled the unit and it went on to heat the house fine for the rest of the night. Any Ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks

Last edited by tonymaud; 11-03-08 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-08, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Could your wood stove be causing the furnace area to get warm?, and maybe causing the fan to come on from perhaps a fan switch set real low? Any chance of this?, since I do not know your layout with these 2 heat systems.

Old 11-03-08, 09:11 PM
I don't believe so. The woodstove is not running tonight, and this just happened: The thermostat called for heat and the system operated as normal, then after it reached temperature, it just started blowing cold air. I checked the controller and it was flashing a continuous error code. Manual says this is because flame was sensed when there was no call for heat. What would cause that?

Old 11-04-08, 04:35 PM
Huh. It gets to operating temperature, yet blows cold air? You sure the furnace burner was on for say 1 or 1 1/2 minutes first? And then the furnace blew out cold air????? Out the heat register, and not out a cold air return grill????

First I have to know if what I asked is right.

If say it is, do you have central air conditioning, and could it be running at the same time?

Old 11-04-08, 04:40 PM
Does your furnace ignite by pilot light? If so, then maybe the code means that it senses (pilot) flame, but no burner flame.

Old 11-05-08, 10:06 AM
It has and igniter not a pilot. There is NO AC.
As I said, the unit starts normally( burner lights etc), blows warm are through the supply vent, (not the return) and then the burner will go out when it reaches set temperature and it will continue to blow cold air. It is intermittent. It has been working OK for 2 days now. This summer when the thermostat was turned way down however, it would start blowing cold air for no reason and wouldn't stop until I reset it.

Old 11-05-08, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by tonymaud View Post
This summer when the thermostat was turned way down however, it would start blowing cold air for no reason and wouldn't stop until I reset it.
Would that, or COULD the blower start up, as soon as you turned down the stat? Or would it just suddenly, out of the blue, come on, after the stat had been at a low setting? And would that happen independent of a call for heat at that low setting? Or would it do it only when there WAS a call for heat at the low setting? Or didn't you ever notice which was the case?

Old 11-06-08, 06:33 AM
There was no call for heat. The thermostat was set at the lowest setting (50deg.), had been there for a while, and it was probably 80 degrees outside.
It would just happen out of the blue. I would reset the unit and then maybe a week or 2 later it would do it again.

Old 11-06-08, 05:22 PM
It sounds simply like a fan switch setting issue. It may have gotten weak over time. Now things activate at lower house temps. Mine can do that at home, if I adjust my Honeywell fan-limit switch down too low. The furnace will run, reach stat set point, and the blower keeps running for say the 5 additional minutes it often does to recover most of the heat. Except if the fan limit switch is at a lower setting, it never will turn off. Just continues to run and send out cool air out the register.