1987 Carrier Furnace blows 3A fuse on new control board

Old 11-06-08, 08:58 PM
1987 Carrier Furnace blows 3A fuse on new control board

Hello. I replaced the blower control board wire for wire (except for the fan delay box, which is now incorporated into the new board). The ignitor starts, pilot starts, flames roar, and then the blower tries to start....the POOF, the automotive 3A fuse glows and then blows. After that, the fan stays on low.

The new control board is ICM275 instead of the old-fashioned carrier board old-fashioned relays, etc.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-08, 07:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This started because you changed out boards?- to a different type one? And it was NOT blowing the fuse on the old board?

If it is the first thing I said, did you read the instructions carefully, as often they now modify to fit various furnaces, and you have to add or remove jumpers even, according to their instructions.

Also, you cannot just go by returning certain color wires to say the 4 spades on the left, the 2 spades on the rear, the 4 spades on the right (just making a point), until you read what each spade says it is, in abbreviation form. The last one I installed like this, I had to put the wires back on in totally different locations, carefully reading each abbreviation.

And on a module I did, it came with an actual 'booklet' where they said that if your old one was X model, you had to do this. And if your old one was Y model, you had to do something else. Etc., etc., etc. I was down in the basement grumbling (I also grumbled at the supply house saying, "Can't they sell you the exact one?, so you can just stick the wires back on in 10 seconds and be done with the job?, rather than reading a novel on what to do for everyones application?") how they can't make things simple anymore and hoping I figured it out quickly to save the landlord money. New digital thermostats are the same way. You have to read all this stuff, to be sure you did everything right, for your application and desires. Fine for the retired homeowner, but when someone is paying you for your time, it gets a little unnerving.

Old 11-07-08, 07:33 AM
Thank you for your response

The old board didn't have fuses on it, but had the same wire terminals, etc. I did as the instruction said which was to replace wire-for wire, and make sure the plug wasn't touching metal.

There is only one jumper required for the new board, but it isn't something that would cause a fuse to blow. Just a variation in fan-speed for various applications.

Thanks again. I'll do more research.

Old 11-07-08, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Icm 275?

I just looked at ICM's site & they don't list a 275 furnace control board. They do list a 281 & 282 for use with a Carrier furnace. Do you have the number from the original board?