CO detector location

Old 11-09-08, 05:53 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
CO detector location

I bought two new AC powered w/ battery backup Kidde Propane/Natural Gas/Carbon Monoxide detectors. I read the manual and I'm more confused than ever when it comes to placement. They say that if I want to detect propane that I can simply plug this thing into any receptacle at standard floor height. If I want to detect natural gas, I can use the retractable extension cord and mount this near the ceiling. It also has the option to simply rest on a table top.

I have a two story house with finished basement. The second floor has 3 bedrooms and I simply plugged in one detector in the hallway which is at your typical 12-14 inches off the ground. I'm not concerned with the main floor as you will be able to hear the detector in the basement or the detector on the second floor.

I want to install the second detector in the basement as I have a finished bedroom down there as well. I thought the furnace room would be a good idea since this detector also does natural gas sensing and I have a natural gas furnace and gas heated water heater. The manual does state that a furnace room is not the best location as the sensors can become clogged with dust grease over time.

Shed some light..... head hurts, and not from CO.

Old 11-09-08, 07:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Grease?

I have no idea why there would be grease in a furnace room. Dust maybe but grease???? Oh well, back to your question:
Since natural gas is lighter than air, nearer the ceiling would be best IF your intrest is primarily detecting a gas leak. According to the published density for CO, at room temperature it is only very slightly lighter than air.

Personal experience tells me unless there is some means for mixing, the CO levels are usually higher near the floor.

As a firefighter I entered a home two winters ago where the occupants were passed out from CO due to running a generator INSIDE the home. The CO detector, mounted high on the wall, was quiet as a church mouse until we started to ventilate the house by using powerful fans. When the fan started, the detector went into full alarm.

Last edited by Grady; 11-09-08 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-09-08, 08:56 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yeah, I'm not sure what "dust grease" is either! Maybe its one of those manuals that was translated into English. Maybe they meant dust and/or grease.

My primary concern is CO. I figured if I can detect natural gas as well with this thing than why not. Maybe stomach height and a few feet away from the furnace may be the best to detect both CO and natural gas?

Old 11-10-08, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Detector Location

I think I would mount it low & get another & mount that one high. What the heck, they are after all pretty cheap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: