Amana Gas Furnace Issue?

Old 11-10-08, 08:33 AM
Amana Gas Furnace Issue?

I have two Amana Gas Furnace in my house one for upstairs and one for downstairs. Both have the same issue. The units are 10 years old and started this issue late last winter.

I turn on the heat from the thermostat and the heat does not come on. You can hear the units cycling. I went in the attic and took off the covers. When you click on the heat from the thermostat the glow stick lights up, the gas comes on, the blower starts, the flame come on, then the flame goes out, the blower stops and the cycle starts all over again. Its does this time after time. On rare occasions the heat will come on and work normal. Both units are doing the same thing but have been working fine since this started last winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-08, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try this. If the glow stick is at one side of the row of burner tubes. look to the other end of the row for a metal rod sticking up in front of the far burner. Remove the rod (usually one or two screws). It should have an electric wire attached to the bottom where it is mounted. Clean the rod by wiping it lengthwise with very fine sand paper, emery cloth, or steel wool. Wipe gently as you just want to clean it, not remove a bunch of metal.
Reassemble and give it a try. The rod is called a flame sensor and tells the furnace that there is a flame and to keep supplying gas to the burners.

Old 11-10-08, 10:18 AM
Thanks I just did that and the heat came on. I hope that is the fix but will keep you posted if it is not. Thanks for the reply!! MAC