starting up an OLD Dearborn Heater, been sitting a while!

Old 11-10-08, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation starting up an OLD Dearborn Heater, been sitting a while!

I need to use an old Dearborn to heat the house tonight. I'm clueless on what to look for to make sure it's got the right 'spud'... what the heck is a spud and where is it??!!

Model # DRC 25C
serial # 0000182785
Says control type "M"
Max input is 25 000

I have piped in gas from the city, not propane from a tank. I assume that is called natural gas.
The tag on the back says the heater came with 3 different things to use according to the type of gas used... liquid petroleum uses black, natural gas uses brass, manufactured uses silver.
I do not know what to look for to find this 'spud', and if it's not the right color, am I going to burn the house down?
I cannot afford a tech to come out, and it's past closing time in this small town.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-08, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am assuming the Dearborn is a room heater (freestanding). I would advise NOT to fire it up until it has been inspected for operation and a combustion test has been taken. Those old room heaters can be carbon monoxide factories if improperly adjusted. We had one we used as a prop, the flame looked perfect, but it was severly overgassed and the only way to tell was thru a combustion test. Of course one could clock the meter if you knew the rating and that would put you close.
Once again DO NOT USE