Goodman Transformer Problem

Old 11-10-08, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman Transformer Problem

I bought and installed a Goodman furnace about a year ago. About 6 months in I installed a new thermostat and in the process shorted one of the thermostat wires to ground and blew the fuse on the control panel. I replaced the fuse and everything worked just fine.

A few weeks later my transformer went out. 110 volts up to the transformer and nothing coming out the other side. I replaced the transformer and everything worked.

A few months later my transformer went out again. I replaced it and everything was fine.

During the months of August and September I didn't use my furnace or AC at all. Early October I turned things on just to make sure I was ready for winter and I smell smoke coming from the furnace. I took off the access panel, depressed the shut-off switch and turned the fan setting on my thermostat to continuous run. I saw sparks and smoke coming out of the transformer and the circuit breaker popped (not the circuit board fuse, the breaker in my fuse box).

I got a new transformer (the fourth overall) installed it and had the same experience. Everything was just fine for about
60 seconds, then I could smell smoke and the circuit breaker popped.

Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe I need a new control board, but is there a way I can test it to be sure?

I should also mention that at one point there was a small water leak above the furnace. A very slow drip that hit the air filter, then the top of the blower motor housing where it rolled down to collect (just a small puddle) at the bottom of the blower motor/control panel compartment. I don't think any electrical components were directly hit. The drip has been fixed for a long time now and there is no possibility that anything was wet when my transformer melted down on me today.

Thanks for your help...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-08, 06:24 PM
You have a short somewhere probably in the low voltage side. Remove the square 12 pin connector and thermostat wires from the board and test again. If there is still a short, it is in the board or the primary wiring. Remove the board and look on the back for burns.

Old 11-11-08, 06:33 AM
I removed the connector and wires and turned things on, but the transformer is now fried. 120 going in and nothing coming out. When I turned the system on nothing happened. Is there anything else I should test before I pull the board?

Old 11-11-08, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Goodman

Go ahead & remove the board so you can look at the back side.

Old 11-13-08, 04:18 PM
Problem solved

I pulled off the board and didn't find anything...after poking around with my meter for awhile I discovered two of the thermostat wires were shorting out...I reread the thermostat installation manual and noticed a footnote I'd missed before that said DON'T HOOK UP THE BLUE WIRE." I unhooked the blue wire and the short disappeared. Don't really understand it, but it seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-13-08, 05:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by TalyRung View Post
I pulled off the board and didn't find anything...after poking around with my meter for awhile I discovered two of the thermostat wires were shorting out...I reread the thermostat installation manual and noticed a footnote I'd missed before that said DON'T HOOK UP THE BLUE WIRE." I unhooked the blue wire and the short disappeared. Don't really understand it, but it seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks for your help.
Thanks for posting back so others will know to read their manuals.

Even when you think surely it seems obvious, it might not be. They make all these changes to all these devices today so that they can work in many dirfferent applications, and they send you a manual for you to figure out how to do it.