Rheem Furnace

Old 11-17-08, 05:59 AM
Rheem Furnace

Hi, I have a rheem furnace model # RGDC-10ECBJR. The blower motor seems to be making a rattling noise, I have removed it and lubed it but still makes noise. Does this need to be replaced? If so does anybody have any part numbers? Will I need to replace the squirrel cage and start-up caps also?
Any help would be awesome!!
Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-08, 08:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
See if the rattling is due to perhaps the blower wheel was not centered well, or slipped, and a slight wobble causes it to hit it's housing.

Also see if one of the 3 motor mount brackets is cracked. Often they make these real cheesy.

See if lots of dust in blower wheel vanes, and uniformally clean each vane as to keep it in balance.

Check for slop in the bearings, by wiggling the blower wheel up and down. Try wiggling it with the blower wheel pushed back and pulled forward along it's 'end-play", and do not confuse any endplay clunk with the senstation of up and down play. And see if your wiggling reveals a cracked mounting bracket.

See if your motor is the kind that requires oil, or CAN be oiled. However IF your rattling is a result of this neglect, it is most likely too late for it, and would have to be replaced. You can replace the motor without buying the whole blower assembly. Often, the price range from some motor shop is around $80-120 or so, at least where I live. And that includes 3-speed motors.