Goodman GMP050-3 vent blower hums but does not start

Old 11-17-08, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman GMP050-3 vent blower hums but does not start

I have a Goodman/Janitrol GMP050-3 that we tried to turn on for the first time this year and it won't start. The Thermostat clicks and appears to try to turn the unit on. The status light on the units circuit board stays on with no blinking. I believe the steady status indicates that there are not cutoffs being detected. The power vent motor/blower never starts but there is a hum coming from it like it's trying. The hum is not there when the thermostat is not calling for heat.

Since the power vent blower is expensive, I want to be sure this is the problem before simply replacing it. Am I on the right track suspecting the power vent blower? If so, how do I verify for sure that it is bad.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-08, 08:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would try to turn the motor or fanblade, any way you can. Probably tarnished up over the off-season. Acidic condensate water vapors go through this blower. You may even have to remove it and open the fan assembly halves and turn the fan blade, and come to some determination.

But before doing this, make sure the motor is not shorting out, by using a voltmeter, set to ohms, and test between motor wires and it's metal jacket. You should get no reading whatsoever, if there is NO short. If you DO get a reading, the motor is shorted out and needs replacing.

[If you take fan assembly apart, it is important the spline gasket between the halves is intact, so you do not breech the integrity of the venting, so gases do not exhaust into the house!]

I have opened up quite a number of these things, by the way, over the years, for various reasons, and even replaced bad heat-warped blades.

Old 11-17-08, 09:24 AM
I moved the fan blades around a few times with a screw driver and the power vent motor now works. It really wasn't hard to turn the blades but that seems to have done the trick. I'll still perform the short check as you suggest but things look like they are working.

Is there any suggested maintenance to prevent this from happening again soon. In other words, should I take it apart and clean it, lub it, etc.

You mentioned that you replaced individual parts of the vent blower assembly. For future reference, where do you find parts at that level. The only Goodman part number for this appears to be the whole assembly which is about $270 from what I can tell. Being able to repair a $270 assembly rather than replace would be wonderful.

Thanks so much for your experience and suggestions.

Old 11-17-08, 05:44 PM
Yes, usually the whole inducer is sold as a unit -motor with fan assembly. But if you call around to some of the shops listed in the phone book, perhaps the smaller guy, he may let something go that he might have laying around the shop. Perhaps he stripped it off an inducer that had a bad motor.

There are possible liability issues here. But it does not hurt to ask. I have had 3 different guys sell me parts. But then again, they know I am established maintenance person in town.

I have a feeling that just in running the unit, it will become more free, and self lube.

Old 11-18-08, 09:02 AM
The power vent motor seems a little louder than I remember it but it's been a long time since I was up in the attic when it was running. As you say, it may get better after it runs for a while. So far, it has started everytime I've turned on the furnace and the burners kick on just fine.

Thanks again for the help.

Best Regards.

Old 11-18-08, 05:04 PM
Keep tabs on that. The plastic blade can sometimes warp and becomes out of balance. Then that is hard on the motor bearing, which in it's own right may be the underlying issue. The fan blade in some units can also slide off the shaft, and hit the housing at certain points of it's revolution, and REALLY cause a racket!, due to acidic corrosion of a retainer clip.