Beckett Burner AF with R7184B

Old 11-19-08, 10:05 AM
Question Beckett Burner AF with R7184B

Need some guidance. My burner will not start at the end of last season i ran out of oil and it was warm enough to turn of the heater so i did. I turned it off by the power switch. No problem i thought just turn it on next season and bleed the pump and off we go.

But now when i turned it on i got nothing but the blinking green light. this is what happens

1 call for heat goes out
2. air power venter turns on
3. i here the aquastats open and ask for burner start
4. long delay no start motor does not ever turn

What i did

1. Hit reset and held for 45 sec to unlock
2. replaced r7184B
3. have a cad cell but have not replaced

Any help would be great

Thanks
JF

Last edited by jfrancis10; 11-19-08 at 11:15 AM. Reason: miss spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-08, 06:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
R7184b

You probably wasted your money on a new control. I suspect the motor to be the problem but it could also be the pump if it sat all summer with no oil in it.

Turn off the power at the switch or breaker.
Open the igniton transformer to expose the burner fan.
If it turns freely, close the transformer & look for a reset button on the motor. Reset if needed.
Turn the power back on, reset the primary, & let me know what happens.

Another possibility is the exhaust fan proving switch is not allowing power to the motor. Do you have a voltmeter & know how to use it?

Old 11-20-08, 06:52 AM
The motor turns freely:

Volt meter yes and yes

Old 11-20-08, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wiring, voltages, etc.

Did you try the burner after spinning the fan? If so, what happened?

First I want to verify the wiring for the primary is correct. Incoming power to Black; orange to the burner motor; blue to the ignition transformer; white to incoming neutral, one side of the motor, & one side of the transformer. Cad cell is connected to the two flag terminals so marked.

Just thought of a quick & often overlooked test. Disconnect the cad cell & try the burner. If burner runs but then quits after the safety time, reconnect the cad cell terminal & unplug the cad cell from it's socket. Repeat test. If the burner runs then quits, you have a bad cad cell. You can also check with an ohm meter. With the cad cell in the dark, you are looking for a resitance of greater than 20K ohms.

On a call for heat you should get 120 volts out of orange & blue. If you do, I suspect a bad motor. Check by connecting directly to 120 volts via a test cord.