keeprite sp80 not firing

Old 11-23-08, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
keeprite sp80 not firing

hi, i'm having problems with with my keeprite sp80 furnace which has a honeywell st9120g 4012 control board. Please excuse the terminology i've just come over from scotland with my (very cold) family. When i put the thermostat up the exhaust fan comes on but the furnace makes no attemt to light. When its on 'fan' setting the circulating fan seems to be working ok. Ive cleaned the flame sensor. How do i check the pilot light etc etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-08, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Keeprite

I couldn't find your model on Keeprite's web site. That furnace may not even have a pilot. It could have hot surface igniton. It may also have an intermittent pilot which only lights (via a spark ignitor) when there is a call for heat. Look for any ignition control box & if you find one post the number off it. From there we can tell if it is spark or HSI.

Just in case the furnace has a pilot which stays lit all the time, there should be a small (1/4" [6 mm]) aluminum tube from the gas valve & the knob on the gas valve should have markings which read: "off", "pilot", & "on". Let us know.

Old 11-23-08, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hooray! I suspected the problem was with the gas valve, on removing the cover (its a SV9500M) i could see that the connectors for the ignition control etc go on to a white plastic plug on the circuit board. Where these connectors attach to the circuit board there were 4 dry solder joints. A little work to make the joints good, put it all back together and it seems to be working a treat!
Thanks for the speedy response Keeprite and SP80 seem to be the only markings on the furnace.

Old 11-23-08, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sv9500

"Lucky" you. You have one of Honeywell's infamous SmartValves. Another one of those good concepts which aren't worth two cents in the real world. The ignition system on your furnace is a 24 volt hot surface ignitor which lights a pilot which in turn lights the main burners. Most heater manufacturers, including Keeprite, have stopped using them.

In any case, I'm glad you got it going so your family can be warm. Good Job.