Furnace igniter will come on but no flame

Old 11-26-08, 07:03 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Furnace igniter will come on but no flame

The furnace igniter will glow and it acts like it wants to come on but no ignition. I converted to propane from natural gas about two years ago.
Any ideas?
Thanks
CB

Old 11-27-08, 09:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
No flame

You could have any of several problems from a bad gas valve to a pressure switch failing to open/close. Near the end of the ignition cycle, can you hear the gas valve click? Sometimes it is helpful to put the blade of a screwdriver against the valve & the end of the handle firmly against your ear.

Old 12-01-08, 08:11 AM
C
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
You could have any of several problems from a bad gas valve to a pressure switch failing to open/close. Near the end of the ignition cycle, can you hear the gas valve click? Sometimes it is helpful to put the blade of a screwdriver against the valve & the end of the handle firmly against your ear.
Hello,
Sorry it took so long to reply, you know holidays and all. That being said, I’ve worked with the furnace a little! (It is a Converted to Propane from Natural Gas “TempStar” Model #NTC5075BFE2 with what looks like a Honeywell SV9500M 2682 Valve) .
I hear a click, the ignition cycle starts and the igniter starts to glow, no click after that. The induction fan runs, igniter glows ( no smell of gas at all ) and continues to run without ignition.
Any help
Thanks
CB

Last edited by cbr549; 12-01-08 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-01-08, 09:37 AM
S
Is this the first time you have started the unit for the winter or has it been operating OK for a while? You might want to glance over at the shutoff valve for the gas just to make sure it is on first LOL if it is then I would suspect that the pilot orfice is stopped up. Remove the orfice and clean it. You are now apparently using Propane and it tends to be dirtier than natural gas so you could have internal orfice blockage. Do you have a pressure gage that reads in inches of water so you can check for proper pressure at the gas valve?

Old 12-01-08, 11:01 AM
C
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Is this the first time you have started the unit for the winter or has it been operating OK for a while? You might want to glance over at the shutoff valve for the gas just to make sure it is on first LOL if it is then I would suspect that the pilot orfice is stopped up. Remove the orfice and clean it. You are now apparently using Propane and it tends to be dirtier than natural gas so you could have internal orfice blockage. Do you have a pressure gage that reads in inches of water so you can check for proper pressure at the gas valve?
No pressure gage, and no, it’s never ran this season.
Could you elaborate just a little just trying to learn, I have removed the igniter assembly and upon closer inspection and I don’t know but… it seems that the process of ignition is:
The igniter glows hot which then lights the gas coming from the orifice which heats the flame rod which in turn lights the burner.
All that is happening now is the igniter glows and there is either no gas is getting through the orifice because it is stopped up or the valve is not allowing the gas to the orifice in the first place.
Now here comes maybe a dumb question!
Does the valve allow gas to the burner even thought the orifice is stopped up and if so why no smell of gas? Otherwise this is truly a smart valve!
Making some progress here,
The orifice is pretty rusty and is recessed any suggestion on how to clean it? Forget that question, blew som air throught from air tank I have. it is clear!
CB

Old 12-01-08, 03:09 PM
C
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Thanks To All,
Blew out the line and reassembled, Started up purfect!
Thanks
CB

Old 12-01-08, 05:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Good Job

Glad it was as easy as cleaning a pilot orifice. Sometimes those Smart Valves can be too "smart" for their own good. I was thrilled to learn nearly every equipment manufacturer has quit using them.

Old 11-28-10, 01:02 PM
B
Red face Thank you!

I had the same problem. I googled the model number and here was your thread! I thought I was going to have to get a new flame sensor (which, on one website cost $129...) but no! I read your post, grabbed a can of compressed air, and about half a can later, air was shooting out of the little gas pipe! Nothing else came out, and mine is just normal natural gas, but I hooked everything back up and flipped the switch and... FIRE!

Thank you SO MUCH. You just saved me a LOT of time and money. (Not to mention the comfort of heat on what will be a rather cold night.)

Old 11-13-12, 08:26 AM
C
Same Problem as back in 08! Furnace ignitor will come on but no pilot flame!

I am getting gas up to the ignitor assembly and the ignitor glows but won't light the pilot flame. I have cleaned the pilot orifice and can see light through the small pin hole. What else can I do? Could it be a pressure adjustment?

Old 11-13-12, 09:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Please don't revive an old thread. It becomes confusing.

Start a new thread and we'll see what we can do to be of help.

Take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace. Obtain the make and model of the furnace off the rating plate in the burner compartment and post it here.

Observe the sequence of events that occurs at the furnace when you turn up the thermostat and post that sequence of events in order and in detail.

Old 11-13-12, 10:13 AM
C
Thanks, Ill do as you suggest although it may appear as two posts of the same title which may be even more confusing to some?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: