New Home Owner (?'s) Trane Xe80

Old 11-27-08, 02:55 AM
New Home Owner (?'s) Trane Xe80

Just purchased a new home with a Trane XE80 (heat only no A/C). Never lived in a house with gas/hot air heat. Here are my ?'s

When the heat is blowing it does not feel warm. There is a lot of air coming out of the registers. The heat does heat the house but it just seems like the air should feel warmer. I noticed at a friend's house the air does "feel" (just putting my hand in front of the register) warmer than mine. What if anything should I check to see if mine is working OK?

I installed a LUX programable thermostat. It works fine. I do notice the heat turns on about 5-6 times an hour. It blows heat for about 2-3 minutes and shuts down. Is this normal?

The fan is so powerful that you feel a draft in the rooms closest to the furnace because it's moving so much air whne it's on. Is there any adjustment to slow down the fan?

Ross

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-08, 05:22 AM
if the stat is calling(the setting is higher then the room temp) the main burner should be running.the heating cycle usually runs the LO speed fan(takes longer for air to heat up then cool off so the LO/HEAT....HI/COOL.make sure the stat is in HEAT system.....FAN auto settings.if your doing wake/leave/return/sleep settings set them as neede but check your actual time on the stat AM/PM.filter is clean and is your return duct from the hall into the unit or are you pulling an attic or basement into it.this will cause a lower discharge out of the grills...should be doing a good 120F air into the space to make a stat set at 70F.

Old 11-27-08, 05:38 AM
Originally Posted by sminker View Post
the heating cycle usually runs the LO speed fan(takes longer for air to heat up then cool off so the LO/HEAT....HI/COOL.make sure the stat is in HEAT system.....FAN auto settings.if your doing

wake/leave/return/sleep settings set them as neede but check your actual time on the stat AM/PM.filter is clean and is your return duct from the hall into the unit or are you pulling an attic or basement into it.this will cause a lower discharge out of the grills...should be doing a good 120F air into the space to make a stat set at 70F.
Thnak you for the reply

I do not have central A/C the unit is heat ONLY. Could the fan be set wrong..... how can I check this? FYI- there are only 2 wires from the unit to the thermostat.

The filter is clean and I just had the ducts cleaned.

There is a return in everyroom and a large return in the basement (no heat in the basement)

Old 11-27-08, 06:04 AM
OK that narrows it down to your speed on a furnace only unit.you need to shut the furnace off on the electrical switch on the unit,pop the fan access cover and with a drop light check the speed wires and there should only be 1 hooked up.check the color/number code on the motor itself for the HI which it seems your running and the taped away LO speed color.....you need to flip those(colors/numbers)so the LO motor speed runs with the heat.that return i mentioned it is a solid duct run from upstairs down into the side of the unit and make sure the filter access has its cover on becuase the fan is looking to suck air from the easiest point....cold basement.your fan runs by way of the burner coming ON and is the last thing to go OFF when the stat satisfies.your cycle is STAT calls...ignition pilot/spark........main burner runs(if stat is calling it should always be burning)...you heat space.STAT satisfies.......main burner off....fan pulls balance of heat off the furnace and fan cycles off.

Old 11-27-08, 09:15 AM
I may need to look again with an inspection mirror, but it looks like there are not any wires taped up.

There are four wires coming from the control unit connected to the fan

COOL, HEAT, PARK, PARK (What does park mean?)

The wires (with push on connectors) are now connected as follows:

Cool - Black (I do NOT have A/C)
Heat - Blue (Is the fan now set for Medium High for heating?)
Park - Red
Park - Yellow

There is also a white wire contacted directly to the fan

------------------------------------------------

There is also a "Fan Speed Table" that states the following:

(1) Red - Low
(2) Yellow - Med Low
(3) Blue- Med High
(4) Black - High

Would I just swap the yellow and blue at the control unit (to set the heat/blower to med-low)?

Last edited by rossl56; 11-27-08 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-27-08, 01:22 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
Park is a terminal that doesn't connect to anything else. It is to hold the unused wires and keep them from touching any other part, it eliminates the need to tape anything.

Yes, your furnace is currently set up with medium high as the fan speed when in heating mode. You can swap the yellow and blue to get the medium low speed BUT there is also the possibility that the speed was set at medium high when installed because you have minimally sized ductwork and using the medium low speed may allow the heat exchanger in the furnace to operate at a temperature rise higher than the manufacturer allows.

Old 11-28-08, 08:04 AM
Go ahead and lower the speed, then take a temp reading in the return duct (before the air filter, and just after the heat exchanger, and report the readings.. We can see if your temp rise is good or not.

Old 11-30-08, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
Go ahead and lower the speed, then take a temp reading in the return duct (before the air filter, and just after the heat exchanger, and report the readings.. We can see if your temp rise is good or not.
What is the best way to take these readings? I could put a thermometer just before the filter (where the filter slides in). I don't have an access panel "just after" the heat exchange, should I take the reading at the first register (it's about 15 feeat from the unit)?

Old 11-30-08, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by rossl56 View Post
What is the best way to take these readings? I could put a thermometer just before the filter (where the filter slides in). I don't have an access panel "just after" the heat exchange, should I take the reading at the first register (it's about 15 feeat from the unit)?
What kind of thermometer do you have? if you got the probe type, you may be able to find an opening on joint on the ductwork some near by. or drill small hole into the ductwork.

When you do take a reading, turn the temp up and let it run more than 8 minutes.

Old 11-30-08, 12:26 PM
I don't really have a good thermometer to this this. All I have is a large indoor outdoor type. I wouldn't mind getting another because i would like to do before and after readings.

Where can I get an inexpensive one?

Old 11-30-08, 12:35 PM
You can find one like at Target, or Wal-Mart.

Get the dial one with the metal probe that you can insert.

I have this one below, and use it a lot for my cooking.