One heating element is not heating up

Old 11-27-08, 06:42 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One heating element is not heating up

I have an old Carrier/Bryant electric furnace for my apartment. I noticed recently that the heat output is lower than it used to be. The furnace has 2 heating elements. The fan is working properly.

After I turn on the heat, none of the elements is heated. After couple of minutes the sequencer clicks, and one of the elements starts heating up.
In order to check that both heating elements are functional, I switched the connection from the other element and it is heating up. So, both elements are OK.

After I turn on the heat, should one element start heating up immediately, and after the sequencer clicks, the other one should do the same? If this is the case, than why an element is not heating up immediately? Could it be the fuse at the element?

or, does the sequencer control both elements, so it should kick in the second element after a while? Since it is not doing that right now, does it mean that the sequencer is bad?
Or, there is something else?

Thanks.

Old 11-29-08, 11:16 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A sequencer steps on electric heat in stages so the electric meter doesn't register a big hit right off the bat and you get charged for more Kw than what you are using. If the first stage of the sequencer works and you checked the second stage of electric heat by swapping wires and it does come on then the sequencer is bad on the warp disc for stage 2, aslong as you didn't wire around the heat pack limit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: