Heater Problem - Please Help

Old 11-27-08, 06:46 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heater Problem - Please Help

I was asked to look at a heater later today. It seems to work fine sometimes. Other times the fan will run but they have to push the red button inside the case with a screwdriver to get it to fire. Seems this has been happening for a few years. Any suggestions on what to check first? Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-28-08, 07:53 AM
Your information is very, very sketchy.
Gas or oil? or a heat pump perhaps? Which one do you have here? Mfr. name and M/N would be helpful.

The red buttom you mention appears to be a manual-reset switch, possibly a limit.

You need to give more info for anyone to be able to get a somewhat mental picture of your unit there. And speaking of picture, posting a couple of photos would not be a bad idea either,

Old 11-28-08, 12:53 PM
P
More Information

I have not been to see the unit yet so I do not know the brand or have a pic. But it is a typical central air/natural gas set up with the compressor unit outside in a two story row house with basement.

It seems that it tends to work more often when they leave the basement door open and also leave the cover off of the unit. Leaving the cover off was an idea from a guy they paid to come in and look at it.

What happens is that sometimes the fan will run but the unit won't fire unless they push the ignite button.

Last time I was there, with the amount of air being put out of the vents and wind noise, it seemed to me that the unit may have been too big for the house if that means anything. Also, there was a very dirty fiberglass filter that I changed with a much better one for them too. And I did recall that when it was running, the flames coming out of the burners were blue but didn't shoot as neatly into the holes as my heater does.

Anything else you would need?

Old 11-29-08, 05:59 PM
M
Heating Repair

Yes not much info but it sounds like they are resetting the flame recognition safety on an oil burner. Take everything apart and clean it, injector nozzle, igniter rods, etc.) then it will probably work fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: