2 Beckett AFG oil burners: Wiring so one turns off while the other cycles.

Old 11-28-08, 09:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 2 Beckett AFG oil burners: Wiring so one turns off while the other cycles.

Hello All,

I have my home heating furnace and water heater on the same fuel line and same electric circuit. The home heater burner is a Beckett AFG and has a Honeywell control. The water heater is now also a Beckett AFG with a model 7505 control box (just replaced the old Wayne MSR burner with unknown control box [no labels]).

I want to wire them together so that when the water heater burner is running the home heater burner goes on stand by. This is how it was working when the water heater burner was the Wayne MSR.

I wired it the same way as the MSR was set up but it doesn't work with the Beckett. By "doesn't work" I meam both AFG burners are now firing at the same time. This cause either of the units to "Hard Lockout" because they are competing for the same fuel.

If I manually monitor the units and run them seperately they both run full cycle and recycle properly. It is only when they both run at the same time that I have problems.

I will call a repair person if needed but I like to try these things myself. The mechanics of the burners makes sense to me but the electrical wiring (I would think this set up is advanced) is a little beyond my skill set at this point.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
zeroat1

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-08, 04:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
2 Burners

The Wayne & Beckett are wired exactly the same, no difference what so ever. Something changed somewhere when replacing the Wayne with the Beckett.

As far as your fuel problem, some pictures would be a big help. You can post them on photobucket.com or similar photo hosting site & provide a link here.

Old 11-30-08, 03:13 AM
i looked at your old burners PDF,and saw no AUX contacts to tie in external items.let the furnace control the HWH thru 24V call from the heating stat with a relay with NO/NC contacts.pick up 24Vs from the burner call for the relay coil....then wire over into the HWH and break the limit with the NC (no 24Vs on relay) contacts.so if the furnace runs (24V to relay coil) it will open the NC/HWH circuit till the furnace goes off,and if the HWH is calling it will run.the morning situation would be interesting with the furnace making morning temps and showers running.did you have wiring going between both prior to the change out?

Old 11-30-08, 08:23 PM
Grady,
First, thank you for taking the time to reply. I have found an resolved the problem. The difference I can see between the old and new set up is that the new HWH burner has a valve control on the pump and a much, much smaller transformer. Once I changed the wiring of the primary control (excuse my incorrect use of terminology) on the furnace to the HWH motor "hot" wire instead of the HWH transformer "hot" wire it worked as it had in the past; e.g. the HWH has cycle preference over the furnace.

I don't know much at all about electrical wiring beyond the basics but it appears that the lead that runs from the HWH to some type of "switch" in the furnace, when supplied power, opens the circuit on the furnace preventing it from cycling until the HWH completes it's cycle. Again, sorry for my poor Heating and Electrical vocabulary.

Regards,
zeroat1

Old 11-30-08, 08:30 PM
sminker,
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I have resolve the issue. It sounds like you really know your stuff unfortunately with my lack of knowledge in the area it would probably take me a week to comprehend your post. I really appreciate the help but feel bad that it is lost on my lack of knowledge. I am hoping that the "switch" as I have called it is the relay you refer to and the 24V is the current from the HWH motor lead that I connected the "switch" to. Again, thanks very much for the help.

Regards,
zeroat1

Old 12-01-08, 04:51 PM
no problem.. what i was explaining was what you already had from the original between the burners just that wire flip solved it.