Luxaire furnace manifold probblem

Old 11-29-08, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Luxaire furnace manifold probblem

My Luxaire sometimes when the burner kicks on the orifice coming out of the manifold will light on fire to! Thanks to ecman51 I fixed my plunged up pilot orifice problem. But after that fix this problem has come up.

I think the venting needs some attention to when it rains it will leak water threw the vent. It looks like one of the joints are leaking. Can you use caulk on the vent? How dues the professionals seal the vent joints?

http://forum.doityourself.com/gas-oi...gas-pilot.html

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-08, 05:41 PM
Furnace help

Is this a 90%+ furnace (PVC venting) if so you can caulk the joints although they should have been glued in the first place. The only thing with caulking is you will have to shut it off long enough for the caulk to set up as the water will find it's way through. If it an 80% you may have the wrong chimney cap or no cap at all. Concerning the burner you need to make sure everything is where it is supposed to be it sounds like when you worked on the pilot you may have gotten some of the burner parts out of their proper placement.

Old 12-07-08, 06:45 AM
It's a 80% furnace. It looks like one of the joints going to the elbow is leaking. Can I use caulk on a 80% system?

What about a dirty burner creating my manifold problem they are definitely dirty and rusty. Looks like its not burning very well sooty deposits and rust on burner.

Old 12-07-08, 01:49 PM
Heating Help

Gas furnaces need to be cleaned every year because any interruption in the designed operation of the flame, not even considering the safety factor, is costing you money. While I don't agree with engineers all the time they do know the numbers and that furnace is designed to have a certain amount of fuel and a certain amount of air and any disruption in that formula does not result in efficiency increase so just from a dollars and cents standpoint, clean it out. If you don't feel comfortable taking anything apart take a shop vac and do the best you can it will help. Concerning the moisture problem there is not supposed to be any rain getting in your vent. Don't caulk any venting, besides the fact that unless you use high heat caulk it will just burn up or melt off, the biggest problem is the water getting in your furnace and that is also one of the reasons your furnace is so dirty.