Furnace not blowing heat into house.

Old 12-04-08, 05:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace not blowing heat into house.

I have an oil furnace with an attached wood burner. The fire gets the plenum hot enough to kick on the fan as normal as it gets. However, I can not feel any air coming from the ducts. My house is 38 to 41 degrees all day. Could it be the fan motor, the belt, something in the duct work?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-08, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by schoolhouse View Post
I have an oil furnace with an attached wood burner. The fire gets the plenum hot enough to kick on the fan as normal as it gets. However, I can not feel any air coming from the ducts. My house is 38 to 41 degrees all day. Could it be the fan motor, the belt, something in the duct work?
Yep it could. Could be a plugged air filter or a/c coil too.

Old 12-04-08, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you stood next to the furnace so you can tell if the blower comes on? Or actually looked intside the compartment? If you need any speciifc help, just ask.

Old 12-08-08, 04:31 AM
ecman51 and pfd27,
I've stood there when it kicks on and runs. I took a plate the furnace cleanr cut into the plenum and checked when the fan kicked on. It was hardly enough to feel with your hand. The filter was clean too. Could it be that the motor on the fan is not strong enough or get weak in some way? Thanks.

Old 12-08-08, 07:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have a belt driven blower? If so, is the belt loose? Or is the blower wheel sticky so that it does not want to spin freely? Maybe you need to oil the oil holes (if it has them), and 'work' sticky motor or blower wheel free.

Old 12-08-08, 07:26 AM
ecman51,
I checked the belt and actually tightened it some, I had my brother manually activate the blower so I could look under there, and it worked well. There was no grinding and or rubbing of any kind. I could rotate the pullies and belt by hand easily. I was wondering if the motor is loosing it's umph and needs to be replaced. It doesn't sound like it should when a blower comes on. It runs smooth but it doesn't have that sound of power. Thank, Matt