2 thermostats / One Two stage Furnace

Old 12-04-08, 08:41 AM
2 thermostats / One Two stage Furnace

Here is what I have today.
Main Level:
Lennox C33-50/60C-2F-3
Fuel Master 21 unit that my main floor thermostat hooks to.
White Roger Thermostat 70 Series.
Top Level:
White Roger Thermostat 70 Series (1F78-144) hooked to a blower on the top floor that is suppose to help move the warm air from down stair up stairs. This works well in the summer for the AC but it seems like the blower runs all the time in the winter time.

So here is my question.
Is is possible to have a thermostat up stairs that will turn on the furnace and the upstairs blower when is reaches the temp set and also have the thermostat down stairs be able to still kick on the furnace when it needs to?

My idea for this is then I could program the temp on the top floor lower durning the day and the main floor where the wife and kids are durning the day to a standard temp. Then in the evening have the main floor at a lower temp like 67 and keep the upstairs warm when we are sleeping. I know I can buy another furnace and accomplish the same thing but I was trying to see if I can do the same thing with what I have today. Thanks for any help even if it is bad news. :-)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-08, 03:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thermostats

Wire the two stats in paralell. When either one calls for heat it will fire the furnace.

Old 12-04-08, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by CrazyChimp View Post
Lennox C33-50/60C-2F-3
That is the A-Coil above the furnace. What's the model # of the furnace/air handler?

Fuel Master 21 unit that my main floor thermostat hooks to.
You have a heat pump system?

White Roger Thermostat 70 Series.
Top Level:
White Roger Thermostat 70 Series (1F78-144)
Are these the same t-stat? (didn't see a full model # on the downstairs' t-stat.

hooked to a blower on the top floor
Any info on this? or is this just a "put together thing"?

So here is my question.
Is is possible to have a thermostat up stairs that will turn on the furnace and the upstairs blower when is reaches the temp set and also have the thermostat down stairs be able to still kick on the furnace when it needs to?
going to need relay to advoid shorting out the transformer on both units.

Old 12-05-08, 07:01 AM
That is the A-Coil above the furnace. What's the model # of the furnace/air handler?
Lennox G43UF-60C-110.

You have a heat pump system?
Yes....

Are these the same t-stat?
No sorry I was not able to find it yesterday but I found it today on the website. 1F73-174 is the Main floor t-stat model.

Any info on this? or is this just a "put together thing"?
Yes it is a blower that the guys that installed the unit when the house was built put in. It does a good job of moving the air but I would like to have the air be warmed by the furnace when the top level calls for heat. The t-stat is hooked just to the blower right now and turns it on to pull air from down stairs up stairs.

going to need relay to advoid shorting out the transformer on both units.
Can you give a little more detail I am kind of new to this?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Old 12-05-08, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by CrazyChimp View Post
1F73-174 is the Main floor t-stat model.
Do you know if this stat is set up to run the heat pump, or how it is wired up, and set up for?

I know you said you have the Fluid Master control, and that controls the heat pump system on a regular t-stat. So, I am kinda confused on why they used the FM where the stat you have on the main floor can control the heat pump... Unless the FM is wired up with an outdoor sensor?

Yes it is a blower that the guys that installed the unit when the house was built put in. it on to pull air from down stairs up stairs.
You know what it is used for voltage controls? (transformer, or relays?? ) Another word, is the upstairs t-stat wired right to it, or is a relay used between that?

How is the air flow set up on this? Example, is the intake in the main floor near the floor, and exhaust air is up near the ceiling up stairs.. Single vents on both ends?

Can you give a little more detail I am kind of new to this?
If the blower upstairs is wired to that t-stat on it's own power/transformer, and then you run a wire upstairs from the furnace/FM21 down stairs and wire that together you are putting to "Hot" wires together and shorts out. Be like ifyou touch two wire out of the wall with out a light/load, it will short out.

Old 12-05-08, 08:13 AM
Do you know if this stat is set up to run the heat pump, or how it is wired up, and set up for?
The t-stat is hooked to the FM and then the FM has a set of wires run from the FM outside to the Heat Pump and then a set run from the bottom of the FM to the furnace. Not sure if that helps. I also got the model number wrong on the t-stat after I took a closer look at the picutre on the site. For some reason I can not find the MN on the t-stat itself. 1F79-111 Sorry.

You know what it is used for voltage controls? (transformer, or relays?? ) Another word, is the upstairs t-stat wired right to it, or is a relay used between that?
Not really sure if I know but I will give you what I know. The t-stats on the top level is hooked to the back of the blower to something that is also hooked to the power outlet that runs the blower. Here is a picture of what the t-stat is hooked to. Hope you know if it is a relay or a transformer.

Picture

How is the air flow set up on this? Example, is the intake in the main floor near the floor, and exhaust air is up near the ceiling up stairs.. Single vents on both ends?
Not sure what you are asking here but will take a shot at it.

Main Level:
Vents in the floor blow the air out and I have the "cold air returns" in the walls.

Top Level:

All vents are in the ceiling and some blow air and some are the air returns. Two rooms where able to have the returns in the walls but the other two they had to put them in the ceiling. Not sure if this helps.

Old 12-06-08, 06:32 PM
Ok, in the photo is the transformer. so we can not "mix" this with the t-stat.

The question I was asking how is the duct laid out on this blower for upstairs?