improper oil tank installation?

Old 12-04-08, 03:14 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
improper oil tank installation?

I have a newly installed Roth above-ground oil tank running to an older furnace (the tank was installed this summer). My furnace recently failed to fire, and when the tech came out he informed us that there is air getting into the oil line and it seems to be caused because when the tank was installed (by a different company) they did not use the proper size (diameter) copper piping running from the tank to the furnace and they did not install a tiger loop. The line from the tank to the furnace appears to be a single line and is approximately 10 - 15 feet long. The tech said that there is a "check valve" on the line, but that a tiger loop is needed.

The tech suggested that we (1) replace the entire line with the proper size piping and/or (2) install a tiger loop on the line to help remedy any future problems.

I guess my questions are as follows:

1. Is there a standard size piping that must be used to in the line that feeds the oil from the tank to the furnace? i.e., if it is the wrong size piping, should the installer have known better?

2. What is a tiger loop, and could it remedy this problem?

3. Are there any other possible solutions?

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-04-08, 03:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Roth Tank

The line should be at least 3/8". With a run of only 10 - 15 feet, 3/8" is ample no need to go any larger. For pictures & info on the Tiger Loop, just Google "Tiger Loop".
A check valve should never be installed in a line on a single pipe system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: