Gas package heater No ignition, Compak 10

Old 12-05-08, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas package heater No ignition, Compak 10

I have a Compak 10 made by Armstrong, it is about 2 1/2 years old and a direct spark furnace. About 2 weeks ago the heat just stopped working in the middle of the night. I have tried to read as much as I could to understand the problem but I have come no closer to diagnosing the problem.

When the thermostat calls for heat the inducer fan starts (never stops), no spark and no smell of gas. I have checked the limit switches and the pressure switch. The control panel blinks twice which means ignition failure. I replace the thermostat (wishful thinking but not expecting much) and I had read a few places that the control board goes bad more than the actual spark electrode so I got a new board but no change. It flashes ignition failure as soon as the unit is given power.

Just as side notes it started back up once in two weeks after I disconnected all the wires on the board and then reconnected them. Also last time I checked their was 18 volts going to the gas valve not 24v so I don't really know if that could be something or not. I do live in the south and I have been using space heaters in the mean time so I'm not going to freeze to death but my electric bill will probably start to kill me if this keeps up. Also the A/C works go figure.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-08, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So....Ok I actually was part of the problem. After reading and watching some videos on youtube. I went out to check voltage and continuity and I must have switched the two wires on the gas valve causing nothing to happen at all but the induction fan blowing. So after I installed the new control board and nothing happened I asked myself if I could have switched those wires since nothing happened even with a new board. So I switched them back the way they should have been and...
The induction fan comes on
The spark electrode sparks
I can hear a sound like the gas valve opens but no gas comes out. I have checked the orifices and there is nothing I can see blocking them. Is there anyway to check the valve? Or do I just need to replace it?