Carrier furnace woes

Old 12-05-08, 02:48 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier furnace woes

I have a Carrier 58RAV070-12 furnace that I could use some advice on. It is approx 11 yrs old. It is a central air furnace - natural gas supplied.

The main problem I'm having is it will not stay lit. When it calls for heat the burner lights up, then after a few seconds it tries to ignite the rest of the way (for lack of a better way to describe). Immediately it will click/shut off. This will repeat the lighting process 3 times before lock out. Then I have to push the two reset buttons to overcome the lockout.

At some point I did get quite a lot of smoke in the room but I was by the thermostat so I couln't really tell the direct source of it. However, I could not see anything that fried or anything. This happened in the middle of everything and the furnace did not act any different after this than it did before.

Now, I have gotten it to stay going for about 10 minutes until I turned down the thermostat to auto shut it off. The burner shuts off but the fan just keep going. I could only get it to stop by cutting the power to it. Then when I turn the power back on it stays off as expected.

If I set the fan to "on" at the thermostat it will run and shut off accordingly as expected.

Not sure if any of that is related to the reason why the burner won't keep going.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks

Old 12-05-08, 07:10 PM
Quote"At some point I did get quite a lot of smoke in the room but I was by the thermostat so I couln't really tell the direct source of it."
Heat Exchanger is cracked and the blower air is blowing carbon monoxide into the living space and you will die if you continue messing with it, so STOP messing with it. Replacement time is NOW.

Old 12-05-08, 07:51 PM
K
Thanks for the tip (house is empty now so no big deal for the moment). Having done some research on cracked/holes in exchangers the general consensus is that it is merely a myth that carbon monoxide will enter the home just because of a crack or hole in the exhanger. Seems this is more of a tool by technicians to get a "sale". I for one don't know, just relaying what I've been reading.

Are you also saying the reason it won't stay lit is because of the heat exchanger as well or is this a seperate issue? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: