New Carrier Furnace: So loud, is this normal?!

Old 12-06-08, 06:59 AM
New Carrier Furnace: So loud, is this normal?!

I had to have a new furnace installed in my 2000sf tri-level townhouse a few weeks ago (3.5 ton, 92,000 BTUs...two zones, humidifier, etc). Adding to the horrifying price that it cost me (I literally cried when I got the estimate)...this so called state of the art, "energy efficient" thing is SO LOUD compared to the old one that I can't hear myself think.

Aside from the overall unit being so loud when it's running, the fan is so powerful that I feel like I'm living in a factory. In this day and age of high technology, I can't believe this is normal. It's so bad that 1) I have to turn up the volume on the tv when it's running, and 2) when the heat comes up in the middle of the night, the powerful blow wakes me up out of a dead sleep. If the heat happens to be coming up when my radio alarm clock goes off, I don't even hear it because the blower drowns it out. It's especially bad when only one zone is running (more air blowing out and less distributed). It also turns off pretty abruptly which is jarring as well -- rather than a gradual slow down of the fan like my old unit.

I thought I would just have to get used to it, but this is ridiculous. I have the installation guy coming Monday morning to check it.

Someone pleeease tell me that this can be fixed. Or was the wrong size furnace installed for my home size? Everytime the heat comes blasting up, all I can think is that I paid a fortune to stay warm... only to lower my quality of life.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-08, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Scandy16 View Post
I had to have a new furnace installed in my 2000sf tri-level townhouse a few weeks ago (3.5 ton, 92,000 BTUs...two zones, humidifier, etc)
What is the make and model # of the furnace?

When you say "Two Zones", is there two thermostat that is being used to zone the lower and upper floors?

If so, what is being used for zone control?

How old is the home?

Or was the wrong size furnace installed for my home size?
I am going to say, You are WAY oversized, unless your home is an old glass green house? Has the dealer done a Manual-J (Load Calc) on your home?

Old 12-07-08, 04:07 PM
Thanks for your reply, Jay.... I KNEW this thing had to be too big!! Forgive me for my layman description to your answers that follow:

The furnace is located on the lower level (which is the level you enter my unit on -- family room, laundry room, 1car garage)...I have a thermostat in the dining room on the second (main) level and another thermostat upstairs on the third level (2 bedrooms, thermostat is in the second bedroom). Both are timer thermostats. I did not have these replaced although they wanted to (they may not be new, but they work fine). As part of the new furnance installation, they installed two little boxes, one for each zone (can't give you more detail than that - hope you know what they are!) and the zoning controls and heat/ac switch (for lack of better description) is controlled with a Honeywell HZ311 mounted on the wall of the burner room....showing which zones are being used, whether it's set to heat/air, etc. btw, I also have central air as part of the unit, but did not have the unit outside replaced (as it still works fine and I don't have thousands of $$ to toss away)

The make/model of the furnace is a Carrier 58STA 090 ---- 13114

Another model # on the unit was: CNRVP4221ACAABAA

I live in a townhouse community....my unit was built around 1986. It was the original furnace that was replaced, have no idea what it was since it's gone now. Maybe I can get the specs from one of my neighbors.

What is a Manual-J (Load Calc)?? Given that, assume the answer is no, they did not do one.... They service the entire complex, so I trusted their judgement as to the unit that I needed.

The service guy is coming first thing tomorrow (monday) morning. Hope you see this post and can tell me what you think!

If you DO think this is way too big, how do I explain that in layman's terms? I will print out your post and show him too.

Thanks!
-Jane

Old 12-07-08, 05:27 PM
Yes they should have done a heat load on the home. This would have taken at least an hour (two would be better) for them to go to each room and measure room size, windows, and insulation. You can not guess at this if they did not due this they or a second rate company. You might need to pay a 2nd company to come out and do this for you so you will know for sure what size unit you need. All of the condos share the same floor plain they might not have done the heat load and they should have it on file, get a copy from them.

Old 12-07-08, 09:39 PM
I'll be out right honest, it's not really the "right " furnace for zone..

Your current furnace a single stage fixed blower, the blower is moving a lot of air, and that's why you are getting the noise with all the air rushing in one zone.

Could of done a two stage variable speed furnace, the 45,000 or 75.000 at the max would been enough.