cold air?

Old 12-06-08, 12:48 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cold air?

hi guys new here so im not quite sure how to ask questions. this is for PLFOR, after reading your post to DIXIEH, which are quite informative i decided mabye this help forums arent so bad.(they have always seemed to involved to try.)anyways my problem is similar to dixies.
1. after initial discovery of cold air blowing when it is supposed to be hot. i followed the shut down/restart procedure.
a-turn thermostat to off
b-turn off elec supply
c-turn off gas control switch
d-wait 5 minutes
e-dont smell gas
f-turn on gas control switch
g-turn on elec supply
h-set thermostat to 72
At this point furnace comes on, small flame ignites into big flame, furnace heats house to 72 degrees. Now comes the problem, once the house cools down and it is time for the furnace to kick on and heat the house back up it does the following.
a-the little flame comes on and ignites into big flame and goes right back out. now there is know flame visible. yet the fan will continue blowing indefenitly.
If i go back through the restart procedure(a thru h) it will kick on and work through the heating cycle 1 time. after that it is a never ending cycle, after 1 heating cycle i have to restart it, 1 heat cycle restart over and over.

Old 12-06-08, 06:48 PM
What is the full model # of this furnace?

If it's a newer one, is there any fault code flashing on the LED/Board?

Old 12-07-08, 09:47 AM
I
Ntg9075fga3 comfortmaker

this unit is approximatly 10 yrs old
it does not seem to have a led light on board but i will recheck next time it malfunctions(i restarted it this morning after waking up to 58 degree house). I hope this malfunction does not leak gas, i dont seem to smell any.

Old 12-07-08, 10:05 AM
I
As i guessed there is no led indicators on board, to bad.

Old 12-07-08, 10:32 AM
Not able to find any manual on this model..

Not sure what is being used to control the burners, but do you know if it's trying to light up a few times, or just once and locks out?

Old 12-07-08, 03:40 PM
I
after checking, it doesnt seem to try and restart. however today it cyled through 2 heating cycles with out me restarting it. i just checked again and there is a small flame at the ignitor but it wasnt trying to start,there was no large flames at burners and the fan was running. im starting toget padinoid about if it is leaking gas i somtimes get a faint smeel of gas. cuold it still supply gas without burning it.

Old 12-07-08, 04:12 PM
Can you take a photo of your pilot assembly, and also steping back and take a shot of your gas valve and what not?

Old 12-07-08, 08:44 PM
I
thanks jay, also thanks plfor and mike,this is my new thread, cold air. i started it yesterday. as for right now i havent found out how to post pics, sorry not to good at this web stuff. here is some things that might help untill i get pics going.

comfort maker md# ntg9075fga3.
honeywell gas valve md# sv9501m 2726

as for the gas valve and the ignitor it is the same as the ones dixie had posted in the tempstar furnace thread. it will be in the 3rd post second page of dixies thread. i have recently updated that thread so it is right on the first thread page if any of that makes sense. i originally posted it there before knowing how things work around here. the gas valve is a honeywell sv9501 2729 and looks just like the one in dixies picture, the ignitor is also the same. this is a comfort maker unit.

this is how things went today, this morning i restarted the furnace it heated house to 72 but had to be restarted again later because when it tried to start it did the little flame to big flame and out thing. only this time it suprised me by actually going through 2 heating cycles before ihad to restart it. but get this now when monitoring the third cycle start up it went little flame to big flame then back to little flame, and the little flame stayed, blower continued to run. it was at this time i smelled gas faintly. i turned off furnace an let go for couple hrs. then i began restart all went well and get this i am now waiting for 4th heat cycle, it apparently worked for the first three, anyway i am going to sit and watch the fourth cycle engage...............well all went well
a- what i believe is inducer fan started
b- 5 seconds later click at gas valve
c- 3 seconds orange glow at ignitor to small flame
d- 1 second big flame at burners
e- 20 seconds click at bottom compartment( relay im sure) blower motor starts.
f- furnace runs 5 minutes
g- inducer mtr shuts off flame goes out
h- 2 min blower mtr shuts off

this is now becoming erratic it seems we will see tommorrow morning if the house is 50 degrees.

Old 12-07-08, 08:56 PM
I
well was up a little longer and it has started corectly again.

Old 12-07-08, 09:56 PM
Ahhh.. The wonderful "Smart-Valve".

Is there any LED light that flashes on your model?

I've heard sooo many issues with those valve, and I've been lucky that I've never had the pleasure to service these.

From past post I've read, they are know to be a royal pain, and I am going to say you may be best to replace this valve.

Old 12-08-08, 09:00 AM
I
well as suspected the furnace quit working again. went through restart and got one heating cycle. i will keep furnace off for a couple hrs and see if that helps, since yesterday when off for several hrs it got 4 or 5 heating cycles. mike i checked on the valve, cost $250 and labor is at least $200, and service charges,$500 to $600 endig bill i imagine. was hoping for less exspensive solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: