AFCO Furnace Problem

Old 12-06-08, 04:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AFCO Furnace Problem

I have an old house, circa 1950, that still has the original furnace. It is an AFCO model S125MA. The furnace gas valve is controled by a BASO model 859 box. The BASO switch connects the thermocouple to the gas valve. The BASO control box is somewhat touchy when we light the furnace for the winter, however, so far so good. In the event the pilot goes out, the BASO switch kills the furnace gas supply valve, however, the gas supply to the pilot light continues since the connection occurs before the gas valve. My concern is that the pilot light has it's own valve, it is always on. I guess the gas would be drawn up the chimney, but I'm concerned it will accumulate in the basement and create a potential dangerous situation if the pilot light would get blown out and we are away for several days. Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance.

RichF

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-08, 05:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
might consider getting a new valve(spark ignition) in there where it controls the gas to pilot,and locks up the pilot feed on a flame blow out.if the basement is any where above the outside with the temperatures you should have a natural draft effect and vent the gas up the flue to chimney.losing your flame on a standing pilot is more seriuos if you are away,and the house drops to below freezing depending on your area.