Big thankyou

Old 12-07-08, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Big thankyou

I would like to say a huge thank you to this forum and in particular Pflor and DixieH and the thread 'Tempstar furnace diagnosis".

I also have a Tempstar furnace (different model) with ignition problems. Fortunately I am an electronics engineer by profession and have the tools and hopefully the fault diagnosis skills required to do the repair work myself.

After reading through the thread I was able to fully understand the operation of my furnace and thus solve my problems. It turns out that the intermittent ignition problem was due to an intermittent spark on the ignitor. I was able to bend the forked terminal closer to the electrode and the ignitor now produces a continuous spark when required. The second problem was with the pressure switch for the fume exhaust fan. Once the furnace is running the gas valve would continually open and close. I jumpered the pressure switch and the problem went away. When I took a closer look at the rubber hose from the fan case to the pressure switch. I found the rubber had hardened and cracked with the heat and was leaking, causing the pressure switch to make and break. I have replaced the rubber hose with some spare fuel hose from my motorcycle emergency repair kit.

I have two questions.

1. What is the correct type of hose to use? I took a trip to the local Lowe's and they had nothing suitable.

2. Can you recommend an online source for spare parts? Are they easy to obtain by a layman, or are spare parts usually only available to the trade?

Thanks again

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-08, 10:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Parts

I'm not all that familiar with who has what online for gas furnaces but for the hose, I usually use silicone.