My furnace turns on then shuts off repeatedly

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-08, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My furnace turns on then shuts off repeatedly

The gas turns on, the pilot lights, the flames fire up and then right before you think its going to turn on it shuts off and repeats. If i turn off from the thermostate and wait a couple mins then turn back on it works. Do you think it could be the combustion switch? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-08, 04:00 PM
if you have an inducted draft motor on the furnace it might be bouncing check the tubing for cracks or loose connection into the tap to pick up the ID fan pressure.to check if it is the stat,shut the 115V safty switch on the side of the furnace,then remove the stat off the subbase.......jump R to W (thin piece of wire)and go down to the furnace...put the toggle power up and see if you get that short repeating cycle.if you DO it is something inside the furnace,if it stays solid with no restarts attempts .....it is the stat.

Old 12-10-08, 03:09 PM
Tried it sill same problem

Did just what you told me an still no results. Also the led code light stays solid so it will not tell me whats wrong. Anymore suggestions?

Old 12-10-08, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the flame shuts off in just a matter of a few seconds, it could mean a flame sensor simply needs cleaning.

Old 12-10-08, 04:29 PM
That is it

Your the man, took out the heat sensor, cleaned it, haven't had any problems since, thanks

Old 12-10-08, 05:17 PM
My good deed for the day.

Old 01-20-09, 06:20 PM
Heat Sensor

Originally Posted by jjp1602 View Post
Your the man, took out the heat sensor, cleaned it, haven't had any problems since, thanks
I am having the exact same problem. Can you please tell me where I can find the heat sensor and what it might look like? This is a natural gas forced air unit.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-20-09, 06:47 PM
If you have one - it will be at the end of a single thin wire that leads in towards the combustion chamber. There is no other reason for one single thin wire to run into the combustion chamber, except for one of these at it's end.

It mounts usually so you can see the metal mount portion of it, and usually only has one screw holding it in place. You undo the screw and pull it out. It will be this rod attached to the mount that you clean with steel wool, scotchbrite pad, or real fine sandpaper. (I hear people here all the time talking about never to use sand paper, yet I've used it and have never had to go back and repolish the same one -not at least for any length of time where I can remember that I did one anyway.)

Old 01-20-09, 06:53 PM
Hey Sand---

Well, sand away and good luck to you!

But if that doesn't work I'd suggest starting a new thread to avoid the confusion caused by trying to deal with multiple problems in one thread.

Old 01-21-09, 11:09 AM
Thanks ecman51,

I think I found it, but the gas valve is in it's way. It looks like a rod with a set screw on it. I tried to clean it as best as I could, but could not get to it internally. It doesnt do it all the time, but sometimes the furnace just shuts off. The vent fan will run, but the burner goes out. I also noticed that there was a lot of debris on the intake of the vent fan, so I vacuumed that out. Maybe that will help.

Thanks again!

Old 04-11-13, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the tip

Had the same issues , furnace would light then turn off......FLAME SENSOR.... Cleaned sensor with a little sand paper, furnace lite right up! You rock,Thank you

Old 04-11-13, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 33 Posts
Closing old thread .

Closed Thread