Only 2 tubes in my Rheem Gas furnace fire up.

Old 12-08-08, 11:20 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Only 2 tubes in my Rheem Gas furnace fire up.

I have a Rheem Natural Gas Furnace (Model #: RGDG-10EBRJR) that only the two right burners are working. The two left burners (with the Flame sensor) never fire up. The furnace is 12 years old. The ignitor works fine and opens the gas valve but only fires up the two right burners as I face the unit. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-08-08, 03:26 PM
S
no problem......shut the toggle switch on the side of the burner OFF,remove all the burner tracks(push in and pull up)now you have just the bare header.on them is brass fittings that are the fix orifices and you need to unscrew them,with a small adjustable or plyers.reaching in you want to grab the flat and turn it CLOCKWISE...your right slightly ,and then finger turn it out.somthing like a BUG or something is in there check all of them and then reinstall them.sequence of them going back in doesn't matter they are all the same.finger tighten them in going in COUNTERCLOCK wise and wrench them slightly.reinstall those burner tracks HOW...send it in then pull it back towards yourself over the brass opening and push it down to lock it in to the little slit on the tip of the track.go up and call the heat in from the stat,then toggle up the furnace for the heating to come on.step back a bit just to be safe.your burner tubes might have air inlet adjuster rings they should be screwed down if they moved on the re-install set them all the same...

Old 12-08-08, 06:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Some burners won't light

If you can light those burners manually with a BBQ lighter or something similar, the problem is not with the orifice.
The most likely source of your trouble is the cross-lighters. These are usually a small tube with a slot cut in the front, in the case of burners which go into the furnace close to a foot.
If your burners look like small jet engines with wings, the cross-lighters are the wings. You need to remove the burners & clean the cross lighters. A thin strip of metal works well.

Old 12-12-08, 03:42 PM
D
Only 2 tubes in my Rheem Gas furnace fire up

PROBLEM FIXED... Rust was preventing the cross ignitors from firing up the other two burners.. cleaned the burners up with a wire brush and everything works fine now... Thanks for all your input!!

Old 12-12-08, 06:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up Good Job

Congrats on a job well done. Rust in the cross lighters is a fairly common problem. Glad we could help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: