Please Help! : Air handler/heating unit is frozen

Old 12-09-08, 05:28 AM
Please Help! : Air handler/heating unit is frozen

Hi,
We have an air handler in the attic that seems to be frozen. It is fed by water lines up and down to the basement furnace. Whenever the temps get low, it freezes up and won't turn ON and throw heat. I have insulated the two water lines in the attic that feed into it and out of it. When we need it the most, it just freezes up.

The air handler is a large unit in the attic. Heat only, not air conditioning. Looks like a large sheet metal contraption.

What should we do. ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-08, 05:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Air handler frozen

There are two options I can think of:
One is to circulate hot water thru the air handler all the time & just use the thermostat to control the fan. Easy by not very energy wise.

My choice would be to call a local service company & have them install system anti-freeze.

Old 12-10-08, 04:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Out of curiousity: Is this really a BOILER system, where someone opted to NOT have radiators?, and instead ran the water supply and return line into the attic, where they run it through a radiator (basically), with a fan, and this blows hot air out ceiling registers?

Old 01-09-09, 12:51 PM
water temp

if you have aheat only water coil in your air handler. check the water temp being supplied to the coil. it should be about 180 degrees. where is the return air coming from for this unit? outside air./