exhorbitant service bill??

Old 12-10-08, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
exhorbitant service bill??

I recently requested forced gas heating service for a tenant via the phonebook on a Saturday. I got a quote for $100/hour. The motor did not work. And, I could not meet him personally. I got billed out at the Weekend rate - $142, for three hours to change out a $200 motor, and $70 fuel surcharge. And, I can't turn it on auto otherwise it doesn't work. I believe that the technician was an apprentice at best because afterwards I talked with him and he said something was wierd electrically that he couldn't figure out. So, I got a motor that I probably didn't need and a problem that still isn't resolved plus, a $742.00 bill! Not too long ago I got a gas valve changed out for $90.00 plus the part cost so, I was flabbergasted to hear the charge for this. They also told me that there was a lot of soot, possible carbon monoxide, and that they would discount my bill if thay changed the furnace out for me. And, that it could be condemmed. My question is this: am I nutz - is this a reasonable bill/service? Do I have any recourse?

Thanks in advance,

Lance

Last edited by ommegang; 12-10-08 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-08, 11:07 AM
Well the charge would be ok if the problem submitted was corrected. IMO if the items they listed as meaning this unit should be replaced, then they should have quoted a replacement and left it at that (non repairable replace only). Now if you said patch it together to get it running then you are stuck with it. otherwise, the problem is not corrected why should you be billed for services not rendered. This hold true in any service industry. I think there may be things left out of your statement

Old 12-10-08, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by ommegang View Post
I recently requested forced gas heating service for a tenant via the phonebook on a Saturday. I got a quote for $100/hour. The motor did not work. And, I could not meet him personally. I got billed out at the Weekend rate - $142, for three hours to change out a $200 motor, and $70 fuel surcharge. And, I can't turn it on auto otherwise it doesn't work. I believe that the technician was an apprentice at best because afterwards I talked with him and he said something was wierd electrically that he couldn't figure out. So, I got a motor that I probably didn't need and a problem that still isn't resolved plus, a $742.00 bill! Not too long ago I got a gas valve changed out for $90.00 plus the part cost so, I was flabbergasted to hear the charge for this. They also told me that there was a lot of soot, possible carbon monoxide, and that they would discount my bill if thay changed the furnace out for me. And, that it could be condemmed. My question is this: am I nutz - is this a reasonable bill/service? Do I have any recourse?

Thanks in advance,

Lance
It seems like to me that you called different companies. This will explain the difference in prices.
Weekend calls are allways going to be more costly. This is just the cost of doing business. Also did they have to call the supply house and have them open up? IF they did that cost them more and they had to past that cost on to you.

Now whats the age of the furnace and where is it located. This could of made the repair more difficult for the tech to get to the motor , Costing you more on labor.

by the way what state are you located in?

Old 12-10-08, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you ask them to leave the old motor and capacitor? That would be the only hope you have. If the evidence is gone, you have no recourse.

They told you what they charge. And even though it is expensive, you basically agreed to their terms.

You may want to learn about furnaces more so you can either do some of the work, where you only have yourself to trust, or at least be more knowledgeable so you can make suggestions, to maybe cut their labor time, and perhaps analyze bad parts, if you get them to leave them behind.