Oil Furnace does not always light

Old 12-12-08, 06:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil Furnace does not always light

Starting last weekend the red reset switch inside the furance has tripped several times when the furnace was starting. The blower continues to run, but the furnace does not light. If I shut down the blower, press the reset switch and then bleed a little oil out at the pump while the furnace is attempting to restart the furnace will light. There is a puff of gray smoke though when the furnace lights. I'm at a lost and looking for any help troubleshooting.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-08, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is this a oil furnace if so the pump could be low 100 lbs or your elsctrods need adjusting and replace the nozel with the same one that is marked on the one that is in your furnace if it was me and i dont know nothing about furnace i have a burner man look at it for me ............ben

Old 12-12-08, 06:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Smoke

It could be any number of things but I'd start by replacing the filter cartridge, pump screen, & nozzle. Before installing the new nozzle, flush at least 15 seconds worth of oil thru the system, THEN install the new nozzle. Clean the electrodes & make sure they are set to manufacturer's specs. If this doesn't take care of the problem the igniton transformer could be weak.