Oil Furnace producing burning smell

Old 12-13-08, 02:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil Furnace producing burning smell

I seem to have a problem with my oil furnace. It's a Lennox from the 1950's with a Beckett model SR oil burner. When I walked in the house tonight, I was greeted by a smell like something was burning. The smell reminded me of an electrical fire or burning wires. However, when I put my nose to the heating vents, I really detected the smell. So, I went to inspect the furnace, but there was no smell or apparent problem. The furnace did try to fire up, but the blower didn't kick on, so I thought the blower burned out and that's what was causing the smell. But I'm really not sure. I'm afraid I have a cracked heat exchanger and exhaust is coming through the ducts. Of course, I just had the oil tank filled, so I'm sure it is something along these lines. If anyone has any advice, please share. I would be grateful.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-08, 08:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Burning Smell

If this is the first time this year you've tried the furnace, you could just be smelling dust. The fact the blower did not come on could also cause an odor from the furnace overheating.

Do you have a volt meter & know how to use it?

Pictures of the area above the burner would also be helpful.

Old 12-14-08, 09:12 AM
Turns out the blower motor had burned out, and the smell was from the motor smoking when it was trying to run. The motor had burned out in the past, but never produced the smell. So, I was concerned it was something else. Thanks for the reply!

Old 12-17-08, 10:45 AM
Stewart Warner Furnace

Hi I have a Stewart Warner Furnace, a Winkler model L-85
from the late 50's. Does anyone know where i can get/ or how to fix the oil pump???? Leeoo

Old 12-17-08, 03:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Late 50s pump

I'm not sure if that is a special pump or not. Some pictures as well as any numbers on it would help.