Payne Plus 90 not lighting regularly 88,000 btu

Old 12-13-08, 03:10 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Payne Plus 90 not lighting regularly 88,000 btu

I have an older Payne Plus 90 furnace that when we started using it this fall had water backing up in the exhaust fan area which started leaking and burned out our circuit board.

I have replaced the circuit board and opened the drain line but the hot ignite plate is not lighting all the time. For awhile if I taped on the little silver vacuum looking thing on the right side of the exhaust motor(I know I'm getting very technical here with all these big terms but just stay with me) the igniter would light.

Any help on what more I need to clean out? I blow though most of the drain lines and one did seem plugged that went into a black box type thing against the main part of the furnace that also has a line going to the silver vacuum thing but I was afraid to take that black box a part.

Does any one know what all has to be cleaned out or where there might be info about this?

Thanks

Old 12-13-08, 05:10 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The silver thingy is the pressure switch. It checks for any venting obstructions, such as the water problem you describe. The condensate water should be going to a drain outside of the furnace. If the "black box has water lines into it and from it to the drain, it is a water trap. Clean out all lines and you should be back in business.

Old 12-14-08, 10:30 PM
M
I took everything a part tonight. Cleaned all drain lines and put black stove sealant on all joints that I took a part to make sure everything was sealed.

Still won't light?

Old 01-04-09, 08:25 PM
J
does your circuit board have LED?

Does your circuit board have an LED that blinks? My 90 plus is blinking 1 slow and 3 fast (13) which means that either their is a blockage, like filters cloged. or maybe the vacume switch is bad. (that round silvery thing) if not that maybe the pre ignition blower is bad. I am going to the appliance repair store to get a new , round silver thing tommorrow. The furnace guy said it would be $180 for them to put one in. I figure it shouldn't cost more than $40 at the store. (Hope I am right)

With only two screws and a couple of pull off low voltage plugs anyone should be able to replace it. '

In my case i am also having some water drip from a black plastic box by the burner chamber. do you know anything about that?

Old 01-04-09, 09:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jwolfenden
In my case i am also having some water drip from a black plastic box by the burner chamber. do you know anything about that?

I'd hold off replacing the pressure switch. With water still dripping from the furnace more than likely it's still flooded with water.

Frankly, it's confusing to try to sort out what's going on between two people having similar problems. Unless you choose to start a new thread and describe what's happening from scratch, I'll just let you sort things out between yourselves.

However, from the remarks that have been posted it sounds like both of you are mostly guessing and supposing about what's happening, which isn't generally a very good diagnostic method.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: