oil burner won't light

Old 12-14-08, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
oil burner won't light

I have a brand new carrier furnace with variable speed motor and a riello burner. I think it is model 58VMR. I also have a brand new field power ventor. I have had all kinds of problems and the installer hasn't been very helpful. When they installed it, they couldn't get it to fire and told me that I didn't have enough fuel in tank. I had 7",which is about 30 gal in my tank. As they were leaving for the day on a friday with a cold spell setting in, I changed out the kinked oil feed line that they were attempting to reuse and bleed the system and it fired right up. after about an hour, the thermostat starting flashing. a call to service and the guy had me remove red and white wires and touch together-furnace fired up. He came next day and removed all wires from Tstat except red and white and I then had Tstat control till install people could find problem with wiring. Then had bad smell in house. eventually found that they wired power ventor wrong and it wasn't coming on till system got hot and a signal from post purge valve would start it. Power ventor control is supposed to not let furnace fire unless power ventor is on. Had them come and showed install manager cause he didn't believe me. He agreed it was wrong and said he could have guys fix it next day. I said I needed heat so he watched as I temporarily fixed it. Worked fine, but still had smell. Noticed wet spot and found bottom of furnace had a lot of oil (near blower) and was putting raw fuel fumes in house. They fixed the leak. Once the blower was on, but the burner was not lit. One push of reset and it fired up. Left last week and when I returned, the same thing happened except it won't fire at all now. tank had been filled about 2 weeks ago. Service guy came and basically just tried to bleed it and then said he thinks it is bad transformer. This furnace is 3 weeks old! New filter. tank is only about 2 years old. I loosend fitting near burner and fuel came out. When hit reset button, furnace gets ready to light and makes noise that sounds like arcing of electrodes to me. He told boss he thinks there isn't spark. I disagree, so I hit reset button while the room was dark and opened one of the little doors to look inside burner and I definitely can see a blue color in furnace that coincides with sound that I thought was arcing. So, any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-08, 11:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
New Furnace

I think you need to get in touch with Carrier. Maybe they will get another dealer to come look at your system.
From what you are saying, it sounds like the burner motor does not come on. Is that correct? Normally Riello only keeps their ignition on for about 1/2 second.

Old 12-14-08, 12:34 PM
is burner motor the pump that injects the oil? I thought that was problem. service came today and unfortunately I wasn't home. Wife said that he said the tank had something in it? he removed about 5 gal of fuel and left a small sample for me to see. at top was red layer (fuel) at bottom was yellowish color (he said it was water) and in between was foamy layer and he said that was problem. The tank is only 2 years old. due to the delay in construction and because the tank had to be moved, it was always kept low on fuel. It sat through summer with about 30 gal. so that could cause the water I suppose. I know it should be kept full when not in use to help prevent condensation, but I was going to have to move it so I couldn't. But I don't know what the middle layer is? I will have to pour it out and look at it. Anyway, the furnace is running now so it wasn't the transformer, which is what other guy tried to tell me.

Old 12-14-08, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Middle Layer

That middle layer is probably a mixture of fuel & water. If something is not done about that tank, you are going to continue to have problems. It is quite difficult to get all of the water out of a tank.

Old 12-14-08, 08:12 PM
what do I do now? It was filled up about 3 weeks ago. Since my addition is not yet insulated I am using a lot oil more than normal so it probably won't take that long to go through it. I have 275 gal tank and 260 is considered to be full. It is a vertical tank and the valve is located on the bottom. I do not know if there is a tube inside so that I don't draw sediment from bottom or not. Old tank had valve on the side about 2" above the bottom.

Old 12-15-08, 05:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Water in tank

One thing you don't want to do at this point is add any kind of water dispersant such as HOT, HOT SHOT, or other fuel oil treatments. They do a fair job on small amounts of water but on large amounts, they do more harm than good.
I suggest you get a large fuel filter such as a General
2A-700A, Unifilter 99, or Sid Harvey 265. Remove the filter element & install as close to the tank as possible. This will serve as a sediment bowl & to some degree as a water trap. Check & empty it every day or two until you see little to no water then add the fuel treatment. When your tank is fairly low, raise the end OPPOSITE the outlet about 1-1.5". This slope will help to force any remaining water toward the outlet where you can trap & remove it.